Celebrities become congressmen/women

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by almostfreebird, Oct 4, 2006.

1. almostfreebird

almostfreebird Senior Member

Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
    There are cases celebrities (different kinds) become congressmen/women, and interesting to say there are 4 or 5, as far as I know, congressmen who are ex/active pro-wrestlers(including a woman who is ex-judou champion,now active pro-wrestler) in Japan.
    And I know Mirco CroCop(Croatian, K1 fighter, ex-cop, popular in Japan) has become a congressman.
    How about in your country? Are they good as politicians?
  2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    There have been a few cases of journalists who turned to politics in Portugal. Performance artists, not really. A couple of MPs are writers, but I wouldn't say that is being a celebrity.
  3. maxiogee Banned

The "wee chit of a thing" who won the Eurovision for Ireland in 1970 — Dana (Rosemary Browne) is now an MEP and was a candidate-aspirant for the Presidency of Ireland. Enough said!
  4. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    Yes, this happens in Russia. For example, the well-known film director Stanislav Govorukhin was elected a member of the Russian parliament. I don't know if he still holds his position. Then, there are two or three actors who too became politicians.
    Honestly, I don't like such changes of profession. I always feel a bit, well, ashamed when an actor or a musician whom I like and respect starts to talk about politics. They speak such nonsense!
  5. Daddyo Banned

Sonny Bonno. There are others, but can recall any right now. The other celebrities I did remember were actually governors and even one of them became the POTUS, so they don't count.
  6. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    In France, we've had former Olympic gold medallists as Minister of Sports (110-m hurdles, figure skating and fencing). They seem to do a fine job.
  7. cyanista

cyanista законодательница мод

I've heard the Ukrainian boxer Vitali Klychko ran for mayor of Kyiv (the U. capital) a few months ago. He didn't succeed though.

I'm curious to hear what Americans think of 1) Reagan's performance as president and 2) Schwarzenegger's achievements as governor of California. ;)
  8. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

No wonder celebrities become politicians when politicians become celebreties.
  9. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

A former pro-wrestling champ, Jesse "the Body" Ventura , became the Minnesota governor - people were buying bumper stickers that read "My governor can beat up your governor!" or something like this. Fred Thompson, an actor who played many roles as a politician, was also a US Senator. Fred Grandy, who used to play the character of Gopher on "The Love Boat", was in Congress for many years. Ben Jones, who used to play "Cooter" on "The Dukes of Hazzard", was also in Congress for a few years. John Glenn, former astronaut, served in the US Senate for several years. Clint Eastwood was Mayor of Carmel, California, for a couple of years.
  10. luis masci

luis masci Banned

I think that happens, at least in Argentina, partly due to the bad reputation of politicians.
    People think anyone else out of politic career would be better.
    We had a singer as governor and the current vice-president (Daniel Scioli) is a former motorboat racer.
  11. almostfreebird

almostfreebird Senior Member

Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
  12. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Not only a congressman, but the President of the Republic... Pál Schmidt was an Olympic fencer and became the president of Hungary...his career ended up as a fiasco. :)
    Are there / were there many presidents who are/ were not lawyers? first is: Ronald Reagan...