1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Celtic

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by davidfu, Feb 19, 2013.

1. davidfu New Member

chinese
    I found the translation of the word celtic into chinese as "凯尔特人是主要分布在美洲、非洲的一个族群" wrong. Celtic is original from Central and Western Europ. So it'd be "凯尔特人是主要分布在中欧和西欧的一个族群“。

2. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    那个编词典的人太无知了……

3. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    From: "凯尔特(Celts)人,是自公元前2000年中叶起便活跃于欧洲的一支族群。该民族主要分布在北欧,延伸到苏格兰南部,后来又随历史大发现迁徙到非洲美洲。(http://baike.baidu.com/view/112515.htm)"
    To: "凯尔特人是主要分布在美洲、非洲的一个族群"
    ==> What a misleading statement!
    However, there are indeed many Celts in North America, and their cultural influences are ubiquitous. Halloween, a festival celebrated on or around October 31, stems from Celtic tradition. McDonald's, a fast food franchise, bears a Celtic (Irish) name. The Highland games, the tartan kilts, the "whining :D" bagpipes....everywhere.

4. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    中国人(Chinese)是公元前3000年中叶起便活跃于中原的一支族群。该民族主要分布在中国大陆,延伸到台湾、海南、钓鱼岛,后来又随历史大发现迁徙到东南亚、澳洲、欧洲、美洲和非洲。

Therefore: 中国人是主要分布在东南亚、澳洲、欧洲、美洲和非洲的一个族群。

5. davidfu New Member

chinese
    I totally agree with your explanation. The problem is the WordReference.com website in English to Chinese section proposes a wrong definition concerning “Celtic”. I submitted my correction with intention to engage the correction in the website. Otherwise, future users will still have this misleading wrong definition. Can anyone change the wrong definition? Thanks

6. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Oh it was on Wordreference dictionary? :eek:
    So you already submitted, and I did it again... didn't realize that you've already done it, sorry...:eek:
    I think we can't change it. Only the administrator or maybe the moderators can. All we can do is to submit the correction.