1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

celui-ci, bon prince, joue à merveille les pères confus

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Achleskine, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Achleskine Junior Member

English -UK
    Il parait qu'Alfred considere depuis lors,avec quelque condescendance,l'auteur de ses jours, et que celui-ci,bon prince, joue a merveille les peres confus.
    Pardon,traduire en anglais mes amis, s'il vous plait. Je ne comprehend pas.

2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I really don't think what I've written makes sense but I like those kinds of challenges.
    I'm far from being sure what in meant in the second clause.
    It is said that Alfred, from that day on, considers/looks at his noble progenitor condenscendingly and that the latter, generoulsy, plays wonderfully well the embarrassed father.

3. Flame-Surfer

Flame-Surfer Senior Member

London
    English, UK
    sorry dearprudence what you've written dosen't make much sense, but I can't help because the sentence uses french way out of my depth! I think I understand the words but I can't make a proper sentence out of them!

4. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    My try

They say that since that day Alfred looks down a bit on his begetter, and that the latter, magnanimously, plays embarrassment to perfection.

5. Achleskine Junior Member

English -UK
    Egueule, Many thanks.That helps a lot. Mercie bien.

6. Achleskine Junior Member

English -UK
    Prudence,Many thanks. Ignore the second clause - my very bad effort at French I'm afraid. Might have helped if I had not mis-spelt "Traduire" ,or maybe not!

7. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    By the way, it's "je ne comprends pas" :p
    You'd better say "traduisez" or "pourriez-vous traduire" for instance. But don't worry, it was not you "tradiure" that made me do a horrible translation.

8. Achleskine Junior Member

English -UK
    DearPrudence,D'accord, thats very helpful. I ignored the message that "ses" was giving and wondered if " auteur de ses jours" had a wider meaning ;ie "god" {mon Dieu!} Just a thought could "bon prince",now the father and not God be "good fellow? Je vous remercie.

9. Achleskine Junior Member

English -UK
    Thank you everybody - Mais pourquoi on[tout le mond] me en dit que "Il parait" = "They say"? I thought it would be "It appeared"
    and whilst I'm here[so to speak] could "depuis lors" rather be "ever since then"

10. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Je soupçonne qu'il pourrait s'agir de "confusion mentale" et non d'embarras. Avec plus de contexte, je saurais si j'ai tort.;)
    L'autre possibilité:
    plays confusion to perfection.
    Confusion = Impaired orientation with respect to time, place, or person; a disturbed mental state.

11. Achleskine Junior Member

English -UK
    I like mental confusion better - it fits better with regard to the overall context.Thanks.

12. malarina New Member

france
    " bon prince" is an expression that means "indulgent" a "bon prince" won't appear to mind little errors in his fellows, might give money generously, agree to fake in order to please...but it's a bit ironic, depending on the context: you could call a kid 'bon prince" that would with a kind and self satisfied smile give you a microscopic piece of his cake after being asked to share.
    Please be "bon prince" with the spelling of this message.

13. Achleskine Junior Member

English -UK
    Malarina, Many thanks. Your spelling and use of English is faultless.