Certificado de defunción

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Eu73, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Eu73

Eu73 Senior Member

San Jose, Costa Rica
    Costa Rica (Español)

Necesito saber como se traduce "certificado de defunción" Si me pueden ayudar se los agradeceria. El contexto es referente a un seguro de vida.

2. Vicki Senior Member

United States/English

"Death Certificate"

Espero que sea de ayuda.
  3. SaraMaskk

SaraMaskk Senior Member

Spanish (Colombia)
    También se traduce como "Certificate of death".;)
  4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    It is far more common to see/write/hear/say in English,
    death certificate
  5. dauda98 Senior Member

United States
    That's right.
  6. SaraMaskk

SaraMaskk Senior Member

Spanish (Colombia)
    Hi Txiri and Dauda98. I just say it because I have now, in my hands, a "certificado de defunción" from the State of New Mexico. It literally says "Certificate of death". However, I suppose in English the names of legal documents are written in a different way according to the state (or country) they are printed. It happens in Spanish. I hope not to be wrong. Bye :)
  7. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    You could very well have in your hands a document from the state of New Mexico which is titled "certificate of death". I don´t doubt that--

This document has to be signed by a coroner or medical examiner in the case of ALL deaths that occur outside of hospitals, and in hospitals, by a physician. It would never be heard in English, "the coroner signed the certificate of death" or "the doctor signed the certificate of death". We also don´t speak of "certificates of birth" or of "licenses of marriage" either.

Perhaps the "of" perifrasis is used when placing a title in the space customary for the title? Maybe Eu can let us know if its the title? Otherwise, I don´t believe I would advise someone to translate it with "of".
  8. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    certificate of death
    death certificate

are both fine.

There are alway's foreros' personal preferences, it confirms their world to be agreed with and to have other's confirm it for them by converting others to their view of it if they have the chance. When it comes to different ways of saying a word or phrase to communicate something (even synonyms) it is inevitable or statistically impossible that one is not going to be used more than the other globally. It does not make useless the one less used, otherwise it would have been deleted from the language long ago or taught in schools that the best language is always the most commonly used. False. IF you have your reasons for using "certificate of death", use it. They say it in the movies, tv shows, in real life. Millions of people in the U.S. use it. To bad they aren't here to support you. The proper attitude foreros should take is one that gives you, EU73, a choice.
  9. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    I generally find your posts to be very intelligently made, Chaucer, and this one is no exception. But, at least two of the three comments heretofore in support of "death certificate" were made by professional legal translators, with experience in real life circumstances and not only from the movies or tv.

I certainly believe Eu73 has her own choice to make here, is free to make it, and SaraMaskk made an excellent contribution by pointing out she has a document at hand which uses the phrase with the preposition. But I stand on my own previous statement, which was that "death certificate" has a far more widely reaching usage in the US than its alternative (which would not, nor could not, be considered as "wrong")
  10. robertov Senior Member

espanol Washington DC
    Admittedly, "death certificate" is more common. That, however, does not prevent the cdc, aclu or state governments in USA, Canada and UK from using "certificate of death"
  11. chepe jones Senior Member

I have seen several "certificates of live birth" issued in the United States.
  12. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    Either is fine, in my opinion.

If distinctions absolutely must be drawn, I suggest that when we English speakers say "a death certificate," we just mean it in a general sense.

A "Certificate of Death" is undoubtedly the formal title, in many jurisdictions, of a death certificate. But if you show me a document entitled "Certificate of Death" (or "Live Birth," for that matter), and I ask you what it is, you could certainly say "this is a death certificate" (or "a birth certificate") in order to communicate the significance of the document, if not the formal title.

That is how I see it, anyway.
  13. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Once again, Rob and I are in agreement. Keep in mind that there are different registers involved here. The title of a legal document is in a different register than everyday speech or even formal writing. It is quite common for legal documents (and particularly certificates issued by governments) to have a title that does not convert a noun into an adjective. Thus, what we might refer to as a purchase and sale agreement drafted by a lawyer might well be titled "agreement of purchase and sale," but few other native speakers would use that title.