certificado de reposición (acta de nacimiento)

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by ximelitza, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ximelitza Junior Member

Nicaragua and Spanish
    Hi,
    I am trying to translate from Spanish into English the phrase "certificado de reposición" of a birth certificate. This is a legal document that includes the name of the person, his/her date of birth. It is called in this way because the person probably was not registered originally in the civil registry.

Is it possible to say "certificate of replacement or repository"? In both cases, it sounds a little bit weird to me...

Thanks in advance,

2. manuycacu

manuycacu Senior Member

San Isidro, BA
    Argentina - Spanish
    ¿No será que se refiere a que la persona perdió o extravió o le robaron su certificado de nacimiento original y por eso pide uno nuevo para "reponer" en perdido? Aunque no podría afirmarlo con seguridad, es una suposición. Creo que si significa que no fue registrado cuando nació, tendría otro nombre, como Inscripción Tardía de Nacimiento o algo así.
    Suerte

3. palomica Senior Member

New York City
    English, USA
    In ProZ.com, I found the phrase 'retroactive birth certificate' accompanied by a copy of the law passed in Nicaragua authorizing late certifications of birth. This sounds like an appropriate translation in this case.