1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

c'est un peu fort pourtant que le mépris ne puisse pas tuer

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by etudiantefrancaise, Jan 14, 2012.

1. etudiantefrancaise New Member

English - Bulgarian
    Hi I'm reading the short story L'Arlésienne by Alphonse Daudet and this phrase is said in the ending of the story by Jan's mother after her son's suicide. Can someone please tell me what this phrase means. Thanks, much appreciated.

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Please, what's your try? Make an attempt at the translation and indicate your specific doubt. That's the custom here when asking for help... :)

It might also help you to consider the larger context (the previous sentence, etc.)

3. etudiantefrancaise New Member

English - Bulgarian
    Well, what I come up with for the literal translation is "It's a bit strong however that this concept cannot kill love" if this translation is correct then i'm confused as to what concept the author is talking about. The prior context to this sentence is

Une fenêtre qui s’ouvre, le bruit d’un corps sur les dalles de la cour, et c’est tout…
    Il s’était dit, le pauvre enfant : « Je l’aime trop… Je m’en vais… » Ah misérables que nous sommes! C'est un peu fort pourtant que le mépris ne puisse pas tuer.

I realize now that I misunderstood and that it was in fact the author speaking not the mother.

Excuse me, I've missed out a word it should be "Ah misérables coeurs..."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  4. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Not that "the concept" can't kill love... but that disdain/contempt doesn't kill. Although being rejected hurts, it won't kill you.

:)