CFAPSE et bureau d'état civil

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Harpalyce, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Harpalyce New Member

St Etienne
    French - France
    I'm writing a covering letter to be an aupair and I really have difficulty in translating some words.
    For example,

- CFAPSE = Cerfificat de formation aux premiers secours en équipe. It means that I have the qualifications to belong to a team of rescue workers (at the Red Cross or in a firemen team in France..) is that explanation clear?... is there an equivalent in Anglo-saxon countries?

- Secrétaire au bureau de l'état civil de Lyon --> is it correct to translate like this? --> secretary in the registry office of the town council of Lyons

Thank you for your help.:)

2. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    CPAPSE could be "First Aid Certificate" or you could write "I am a qualified First Aider"

The second sounds OK to me, but I can't tell you if it is a correct translation.:eek:

3. Harpalyce New Member

St Etienne
    French - France
    Thank you very much!

And about what you told about the fist aid certificate, the problem is precisely due to the fact that there is a difference between the "attestation de formation aux premiers secours (AFPS)" = first aid certificate and the "CFAPSE".
    So, I think I will write that I have a fist aid certificate and other certificates that allow me to be a qualified rescue worker.

Thank you again! :)

4. IcyMidnight Junior Member

San Francisco, USA
    Canadian English
    I would suggest an improvement to "Secretary in the Lyon city coucil registrar's office" found thanks to help from [thread]104259[/thread]

Also for CFAPSE, according to wikipedia (I can't link there right now) the US equivalent is "basic life support" or BLS. Search fr.wikipedia.org for CFAPSE to see more detail. You might want to say something along the lines of "I have the CFAPSE certification in France, which is equivalent to the US Basic Life Support (BLS) certification". You'll probably want to find the equivalent in the country you are applying in though.

5. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    J'ai trouvé ceci. Ce n'est sans doute pas la traduction officielle (à supposer qu'il en existe une) mais àma, l'explication est claire.

Source

6. IcyMidnight Junior Member

San Francisco, USA
    Canadian English
    En bas, j'ai trouvé
    Si tu vois l’article en anglais (Basic Life Support), ça dit que l’équivalent du BLS en France est le CFAPSE. On utilise la même certification au Canada.

7. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Pour les curieux, Icy Midnight fait sans doute référence à cet article en français et celui-ci en anglais;)

8. IcyMidnight Junior Member

San Francisco, USA
    Canadian English
    Exactement! Mais je n'ai pas le droit de le dire :(