chalk and cheese

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, if 2 people or things are like chalk and cheese, they are completely different from each other.
    What idiom, words does your mother tongue use?

Hungarian: ég és föld (Heaven and Earth)
  2. Grop

Grop Senior Member

French: C'est le jour et la nuit (day and night).
  3. FabiArgentina

FabiArgentina Senior Member

Argentinian Spanish
    In Spanish also(day and night), el agua y el aceite (water and oil), blanco y negro (white and black), polos opuestos (opposite poles), and many others that I can't remeber just now... :)
  4. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Finnish: ... eroavat toisistaan kuin yö ja päivä. (... differ from each other like day and night)
  5. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    German: Sie sind verschieden wie Tag und Nacht. (They are different like day and night.)
  6. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

USA Northeast
    In English "like oil and water"
  7. ilocas2 Senior Member

nebe a dudy - sky and bagpipes

(really, I'm not kidding)
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  8. Maroseika Moderator

Лед и пламень (ice and fire) - a bit poetical, though.
    Also often we use citation from Pushkin:
    В одну телегу впрячь не можно коня и трепетную лань (One cannot harness to one cart a steed and a tender fallow deer).
  9. catlady60

catlady60 Senior Member

Pennsylvania (20mi/36km from the Poconos
    English-US (New York City)
    Also, they're like night and day, at least in AE.
  10. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

USA Northeast
    Hi Catlady. Yes, I was thinking about that one. But I thought "night and day" could be positive
  11. PABLO DE SOTO Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    In Spanish, at least in my Spanish. I hope others can confirm if it's general in all the Spanish speaking world
    Se parecen como el huevo a la castaña.
    They are not alike. They are like egg and chestnut
  12. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Hmm, in Greek I do not think we have a metaphor describing two people completely different from each other. We just say they are «αταίριαστοι» (a'teriasti, masculine 1st person plural)-->discrepant, incongruous; e.g «αταίριαστο ζευγάρι» (a'teriasto zev'ɣari, neuter 1st person sing.: discrepant couple), «αταίριαστες φίλες» (a'teriastes 'files, feminine 1st person pl.: incongruous girl-friends). We do have an analogy (and an interesting one) for those who have an extremely close and compatible relationship: We say they are like «κώλος και βρακί» ('kolos ce vra'ci)-->a*s and breeches
  13. djmc Senior Member

English - United Kingdom
    Like night and day is also used in English. The expression chalk and cheese is interesting because of the alliteration of the initial "ch" and also that in some very minor respects one could say that the two resemble each other: chalk a similar colour to white or goatsmilk cheese, both of a similar crumbly texture. A lot of English proverbial expressions do use alliteration or assonance "as right as rain" "as bright as a button" "smooth as silk".
  14. Messquito

Messquito Senior Member

台灣台北 Taipei, Taiwan
    Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    天壤之別 (the difference between the skies and the lands)=
  15. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

In Japanese:
    雲泥の差undei no sa (the difference between clouds and mud)
    提灯に釣鐘chouchin ni tsurigane (paper lanterns and a temple bell - they're no match)

There are also similar expressions in Japanese:
    霄壌の差shoujou no sa (the difference between sky and land, shoujou means sky and land; sa means the difference or the gap)
    天と地の差ten to chi no sa (same as above)
  16. bazq Senior Member

In Hebrew when two people are complete opposites of each other they are: שמים וארץ [shamayim va'arets] "sky and land/earth".
  17. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

An equivalent idiom also exists in Chinese: 雲泥之別.
  18. Messquito

Messquito Senior Member

台灣台北 Taipei, Taiwan
    Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    Or it could be: 判若雲泥
    判若=seems like