1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Changing -ate verbs into adjectives

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eehsun, Jan 4, 2010.

1. eehsun Junior Member

Ankara, Turkey
    Turkish
    I've come across this adjective inextricable, and I traced back to the verb that it was derived from, which is extricate.

And I started to wonder: why is this adjective not "inextricatable", but "inextricable" instead?

I've also found out that the adjective form of the verb "navigate" is "navigable", not "navigatable"

My question is, is this like a rule or something in English?

2. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    I don't know if there is a rule. Some words are just formed into adjectives differently. If you can't eat something it is inedible, not uneatable. I think it is more like exceptions to the rule as opposed to a separate rule. I'm not really sure so we'll have to wait for other people to respond as well!

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi eehsun

It all depends, I think, on how the verb came into English from Latin. The words with "t" come from a Latin past participle; the words without "t" come from a Latin infinitive.

Does that help?

4. eehsun Junior Member

Ankara, Turkey
    Turkish
    Thanks for the replies.

Loob, It can be deduced that it is a rule then, I guess.

I've found more examples on this.

educate => educable
    operate => operable, inoperable

Thanks for the responses, again..

5. MIDAV Junior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I'm still not sure.
    How am I supposed to know if it's manipulatable or manipulable, compensatable or compensable etc. (except for the spellchecker)?
    And I'm pretty sure that inflable (as opposed to inflatable) doesn't even exist.
    Not so sure about rotable, but I would prefer rotatable any time.
    Can anybody define a sound rule on that?