chapaatii -- roTii difference ( रोटी और चपाती के बीच फर्क )

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by jakubisek, Mar 19, 2013.

1. jakubisek Member

I'd like to ask about the different usage of the words chapaatii vs. roTii (mainly in North India).

Please speak for your own home usage or another language/tradition you are best acquainted with. Specify which one is it. If you are aware of the usage in several languages/traditions or contexts whithin one language, deal with each separately.

1) are the words roTii and chapaatii

a) freely interchageable , i.e. the terms are synonymous (you do not know any difference)
    b) one is a generic word for flat bread while the other one specific kind of it
    c) both mean a different type of bread (the two do not overlap)
    d) only one is used, normally

2) If applicable (b,c), pl. try to explain as precisely how is chapaatii distinguished from (other) roTii

3) Additionally, if phulkaa is a kind of roTii or chapaatii, how is this one different?

If you mentioned something in another threat, pl. re-iterate it here again so that all answers are visible here in one place

This topic started in a different thread ( where you'll find many other words for South-Asian "breads" (baked, roasted or fried flat dough preparations), but since my question is deviating from the original focus of that threat, which was list of synonyms, and narrowing it down (I am not concerned with fried varieties of the breads here, nor sweat-meals), I chose to start it as a separate thread here hoping to attract more answers to be put together. Some of the posts in that thread touch upon this topic, but I have become only more confused by some answers seemingly contradicting each other but not always with clear referrence to the background context)
  2. greatbear Banned

India - Hindi & English
    chapatii and phulkaa are types of roTiis (this being the generic word); however, this is true only in certain regions. For example, in south India, chapatii and roTii are two different things, mean different things.
    phulkaa is something that "phuuls", i.e. it inflates when roasted on gas. It is usually interchangeable with chapati (not in south India, where a chapatii is something that is kind of rubbery, and a roTii usually means a tandoorii roTii or a roTii roasted too much with too much ghee, etc.).

roTii, as I mentioned, is in general the generic word: so every bread is a roTii. Every bread is not a chapatii or a phulka. The latter are types of roTiis. Hope this helps.
  3. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    chapaatii is supposed to be whole wheat cooked on a flat skillet.

From wikipedia:

"In some regions it is only partly cooked on the skillet, and then put directly on a high flame, which makes it blow up like a balloon. The hot air cooks the chapati rapidly from the inside. In some parts of northern India (e.g. Punjab) and Pakistan, this is called a phulka (that which has been inflated)."
  4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Is there any particular reason for restricting your geographical spread? Do you feel this is the main area where the words roTii and chapaatii are used?
  5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    At least in Pakistan, chapaatii is a kind of roTii which distinguishes itself from roTii by its thinness and a smaller size.