1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Characters welcome

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ségolène, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Ségolène Junior Member

Getxo
    Spanish - French
    ok, I've been watching the 4400 series and there is something that appears each time, in each episode, and after trying to search for a meaning I dont seem to find it, not a reasonable one at least...

During all the broadcast at the bottom right side of the tv, there appears written, "characters welcome" on and off during all of it.
    At the end, when running the preview of the following week's episode, the narrator says " all new episode, next week at nine, on USA, characters welcome"...

it is really driving me mad, because I haven't got the slightliest idea of what it could mean.

characters welcome...

could somebody tell me what does it mean???

2. Floridian Junior Member

USA/English
    "characters welcome" seems to be the USA network's slogan. Character meaning someone who has character. So I guess the network is saying that people with character are welcome to watch their network. Although I imagine they would accept those without character as well.

3. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    In AE, if a person is quirky, has an unusual personality, or behaves in a peculiar or interesting manner, one might say "Oh, he's a real character."
    In other words, the channel is stating that it features people that are interesting and unusual; this is actually also using another meaning for character, that of one of the parts played in a movie, TV show, or performance piece.

4. Ségolène Junior Member

Getxo
    Spanish - French
    I would never have thought of that explanation, but it really has some sense... So you thing it is some kind of slogan for the USA channel??

5. Floridian Junior Member

USA/English
    That is my guess. As bibliolept pointed out it is a play on words since character has the meaning of a person in a drama or novel as well as a person with a distinctive personality.

6. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    It definitely is. It has been the network slogan since 2005. This is what they have to say about it:

7. edval89 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    United States/English
    Yes, some networks have slogans. For example, TBS's slogan is "Very funny." Similarly, USA's is "Characters welcome."

8. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    Concerning their slogan, the USA Network also says,

Characters are welcome; some of them appear on the screen, and some of them are at home watching the screen. :D

9. Ségolène Junior Member

Getxo
    Spanish - French
    Thanks a lot for the explanation.
    You are awesome and very quick!!!

now I won't bother anymore trying to look for a possible meaning...

It is a pleasure, as always really

THANXXXX

10. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    See the network web site.

Among(st) other thing you will see:

"There's a character in all of us. Upload yours, and meet other characters."

11. hecanet New Member

English
    The best description I've come across for this phrase was "Suggest new characters for our shows". They are soliciting for characters...they are asking the viewing public to come up with 'character' suggestions...so, if you want certain twists/plots or characters in their show, you are more than welcome to bring forward your suggestion...

12. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    It appears that USA Network is no longer pushing this slogan - at least not on their home page.

(One of the hazards in adding wisdom to a five-year-old thread)