Chatspeak/SMS language (Italian): ke, x, nn, dx, sx, thx, pls etc..

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by urizon9, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urizon9

urizon9 Senior Member

English
    Ho visto sul internet che gli italiani usano spesso una scrittura differente, ma io non capisco niente di questo.Devo cercare di indovinare il senso di queste parole o si puo imparare questo da qualche parte?Esempio:ke cosa invece di che cosa.Grazie.

2. raffaella Senior Member

Milan
    Italy, Italian
    E' uno stile di scrittura veloce (come usare 4 invece di "for", "Xmas" invece di "Christmas" in inglese). Non conosco glossari sull'argomento ma sono certa che esistono.
    Per i tuoi esempi:
    Ke = che
    Nn= non
    X = per

Raffaella

3. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    xkè = perché
    cmq = comunque
    c = ci
    qnd = quando
    6 = sei (tu sei)

4. non_parlo_italiano Junior Member

English, Australia
    Hi,

Can anyone provide some insight as to the significance of the use of "x" as an abbreviation for "per", please?

(I noticed it a few times in some song lyrics so perhaps it is a specific usage here? Any help would be much appreciated :) )

Grazie!

5. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Hi and welcome to WR!!
    I'm not sure I understood what you need but:
    This is for you = Questo è x (per) te.
    That's why I told you not to talk = Ecco xchè (perchè) or X (per) questo ti ho chiesto di non parare.

I hope it helps.

Ciao;)

6. skywatcher

skywatcher Senior Member

Roma
    Italia, Italiano
    That's something I hate! :D
    It is something that (lazy) teenagers sometimes (hopefully not that often :D) write, I guess.

7. robbotiku

robbotiku Senior Member

No rules to explain. It's a typical youngsters' way to shorten the words, born at school when noting lessons and intensified with the huge use of the mobile messages. You can use it as you like it (xfetto, xipatetico, etc.). But being aware that overusing it can be hateful to most people

8. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Lazy and with no money so, rather than sending two text messages they fit the whole sentence in one mms. ;)
    Still....it's very common and if you are not Italian you don't easily understand what they mean!

9. Ranocchietta

Ranocchietta Senior Member

Rome, Italy
    Italian
    "X" is pronounced "per" because in mathematics the sign "x" is read "per" (3x2=6, tre per due uguale sei).
    I tolerate it standing alone (ti chiamo x metterci d'accordo) but I find it horrible at the beginning of the word (xmesso) or, even worse, in the middle of it (suxbo).

10. robbotiku

robbotiku Senior Member

It's the same when an english speaker writes "This is 4 you", but I don't think you dare to say 4get!

11. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    I have actually seen it :(
    As: b4 or with to: 2morrow and so on....

12. non_parlo_italiano Junior Member

English, Australia
    thank you so much everyone for your very prompt replies! this is fantastic. but yes apologies if my question wasn't expressed very clearly, i did mean from an "etymological" ("" due to the questionable application of the word, sorry, can't think of a better one at the moment) point of view. was just curious as to how it came into usage.thank you!! :)

13. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    You are very welcome!

PS: Remember to write with capitals ;)
    Baci

14. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    I have an email friend who has used these 'words' (abbreviations) in his emails, which has confused me greatly!

He does not love punctuation or upper case letters, and sometimes I am at a loss to understand what he has said.

Example - "e 1 costola dx rotta e 1 moto honda transalp".. I gather he was talking about a broken rib on the aforementioned motorbike, but I am not sure!

I can't find an example where he has said 'nn', but I know he has...

Grazie a tutto in anticipo... :)

15. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Ciao Victoria,

dx - destra
    nn - non.

Ecco una lista. :)

Jana

16. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    Thank you Jana, it all makes a lot more sense now...

17. Akire72

Akire72 Senior Member

Florence, Italy
    Italian - Italy
    I'm Italian and I had no idea of most of the abbrevitions on the site Jana linked :)

18. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    In English:

Pls = please
    Thx = thanks
    4 = for
    2 = to
    u = you

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  19. Riccota New Member

English - British
    Hello!

Can someone help me to translate the following sms dialogues? I don't seem to be able to find a dictionary/glossary for Italian sms language. Does anyone know any website for Italian sms language?

ma ci conosciamo noi?
    xk dove ci siamo visti
    ma kr dici?
    ti ho kiesto ki 6?
    cm mi conosci?
    si può saxe o no?
    ke minkia di motivo hai ke nn devi risp

Thanks in advance

Riccota

20. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Hi,

you're welcome.

PS:we usually use "k-" to avoid using "ch-", "X" instead of "per"...

So... "xk" stands for "perché", "xò/x'" stands for "però", "cm" stands for "come", "ke" stands for "che", "nn" stands for "non", "risp" is the abbreviation of "rispondere/rispondi", "saxe" stands for "sapere".... and so on....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  21. salander

salander Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Hello Riccota!

I'll give it a try
    ma ci conosciamo noi? - this is not chat speak, but bad Italian: do we know each other? Have we ever met?
    xk dove ci siamo visti - xk= perchè x is pronounced per like the preposition, K is used to avoid CH
    ma kr dici? - I DON?T KNOW
    ti ho kiesto ki 6? - KI= chi for the reason said above - 6 the number is the same as the verb SEI, TU SEI
    cm mi conosci? - CM= come = HOW
    si può saxe o no? - SAXE= sapere
    ke minkia di motivo hai ke nn devi risp - KE= che - :warn:minkia=minchia - nn=non
    RISP=rispondere = why on hell don't you answer?(more or less, maybe a little more vulgar)

Do you need a translation for all the sentences?

22. Yshay1979 Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Italian
    Hi there,

this thread is not new, as I used the topic a lot in teaching to teenagers I think I can add a contribution here (it was something that really captured their attention and gives new knowledge on the phonetics of the language at the same time).

This way of shortening the spelling of words has a name - or better, more than one. The most common is TEXTESE, the language of text messages.

There are at least 4 ways of abbreviating words (in English):

1) a sound (that in most cases equals a syllable) is replaced in the spelling by a digit that is pronounced the same way.

examples: 2=to, 4=for, 2morrow=tomorrow, 2nite=tonite, 4get=forget, l8r=later, gr8=great, m8=mate, some1=someone, 1ce=once

in Italian you have all forms where the sign x replaces "per" and few others:

examples: xsona=persona, xché=perché, but also 6=sei, -male=meno male, + o -=più o meno

2) a sound (=syllable) is replaced by a single letter, pronounced the same way.

examples: c=see, b=be, u=you, r=are, r u ok?=are you okay?, c u=see you, 4eva=forever, wateva=whatever

in Italian: c=ci, c sentiamo=ci sentiamo, t=ti, t telefono=ti telefono, ke=che, ki=chi,

3) vowels are dropped in words:

examples: txt=text, dnt=don't, wknd=weekend, thnx=thanks, pls=please, nd=and

in Italian: nn=non, kn=con, qlk=qualche, qlk1=qualcuno, cmq=comunque, scs=scusa, dv 6?= dove sei?

4) entire phrases are are abbreviated as acronyms (usually in capital letters, but not necessarily)

examples: BTW=by the way, T2YL=talk to you later, OMG=oh my god, LOL=laughing out loud, HRU= how are you?, HAND=have a nice day

in Italian: TVB= ti voglio bene, MMT+=mi manchi tantissimo, t tel + trd= ti telefono più tardi

These 4 ways of abbreviating language are usually combined and mixed also with other graphic signs (such as emoticons for example) and words sometimes get incomprehensible if the abbreviations mixes up with slang, but the principles underlying them are these. You need good knowledge of the language in question in order to understand and use these abbreviations, for English you also need a good deal of knowledge of the phonetics of the language.

Hope you enjoy this! :)

23. jackdiroma Junior Member

Rome
    Italian
    Thank you so much Yshay1979, very useful!

24. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    If I may (quoted from the link posted by Jana337):

anke: anche OK
    c sent: ci sentiamo Ok
    cmq: comunque Ok
    dm: domani I wouldn't use this... some may understand... some may not.
    dp: dopo Ok
    dr: dire :confused: Really??? I've never seen it so far...
    dv 6: dove sei Ok
    dx: destra Ok but it's not used in this context... you'd see it used by your doctor, maybe... dx = destra, sx = sinistra... but not in chatspeak
    frs: forse :confused: Really??? never seen it before...
    ke: che Ok
    ki: chi Ok
    km: come Ok Or also "cm"
    kn: con Ok Or also "cn"
    ks: cosa Ok Or also "cs"
    mmt+: mi manchi tantissimo :confused: Is this new? did they just make it up? I've never seen it...
    nm: numero :confused: Weird... here I thought we used "nr"
    nn: non Ok
    prox: prossimo Ok
    qlk: qualche Ok
    qlks: qualcosa Ok
    qkl1: qualcuno Ok
    qnd: quando Ok
    qndi: quindi Ok
    qnt: quanto Ok
    qst: questo Ok
    rsp: rispondi NO!!! Actually we say "risp"
    scs: scusa Ok
    sl: solo Ok
    smpr: sempre But I have to say we don't use it so much
    sms: messaggio OK Or also "msg"
    sn: sono Ok
    spr: sapere :cross: Actually we use "saxe"
    sx: sinistra See above "dx"
    sxo: spero Ok
    t tel + trd: ti telefono + tardi Ok
    trnqui: tranquillo Ok
    trp: troppo Ok
    tvtb: ti voglio tanto bene Ok
    vlv: volevo :confused: Never seen it before
    xché: perché Ok Or also "Xké" and "X' "
    xciò: perciò Ok
    xh: per ora :confused: Really? that's new for me...
    xò: però Ok
    xsona: persona Ok
    xxx: tanti baci Ok For kisses we also use "bax bax bax"
    -male: meno male :confused: Never seen it before
    + - x: più o meno per Actually it's " + o - x "

And many more... I guess we could stay here all day, making a list...

25. rubuk

rubuk Senior Member

Giovi
    Italiano
    Good afternoon everybody. Given that with the SMS system it is necessary to limit the length of the messages to 140 bytes, or 160 7-bit characters, so that the messages could fit into the existing signaling formats, and given that:

dx= 2 characters
    destra= 6 characters
    sx= 2 characters
    sinistra= 8 characters

I believe that everybody in Italia understands dx and sx so, if forced, I would use the abbreviations.
    Not that I really like these things, with common e-mail, I always avoid chatspeak and the like.

St.

26. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Rubuk... the fact that text messaging nowadays almost implies abbreviations doesn't necessarily mean that every time you write something you abbreviate each and every word (or almost). The thing is, mainly in text messages you'll find lots of abbreviations, but "dx" and "sx" are not so frequently used in text messaging. I agree they ARE used... but not so frequently in text messages... That's all.

Plus: I never said that they may be not understood.

27. urizon9

urizon9 Senior Member

English
    Ciao!Giocando a carte su internet non c'è mai abbastanza tempo per la chat,quindi si scrive prg al posto di "prego" e grz al posto di "grazie".Ma non ho ancora capito cosa vuol dire cc? Ciao ciao?(Grazie,Azazel, per il tuo post!):)

28. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Uhm... I don't know... I guess it could be short for "ciao ciao" although most of the times "ciao" is something that doesn't follow this "rule"... we tend to write stuff like "ciauz" instead of "ciao".

Some more chatspeak-like expressions:

k = "ok"
    kk = "ok ok" or also "milione/i" (I know.. it's a mistake... but we do say so)
    gg = literally taken from the English "good game"
    nu = "no"
    zizi = "sì sì"

29. Yshay1979 Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Italian
    Azazel

honestly I don't get the point in your commenting "yes", "no", "never seen" next to a list which is only an example to explain a well-varied phenomenon which has no standardized rules. :confused:

It's not questioning what the right spelling of a word is or what a correct grammar form is, textese is not a real language, it's a way people have to abbreviate words and depends only on the people themselves, their age, their social and cultural world, their level of education, their own life.
    The fact that you might have not seen a form doesn't mean it is not correct, as there isn't what is correct and what isn't.

The principles for abbreviating I posted are simply inferred by linguistic observation and reflect natural linguistic change and simplification. It is true that some extreme abbreviations might be difficult to understand, but this doesn't mean that they are not used or shouldn't be used.

Aim of textese is communication and not misunderstanding. Urizon will get to understand what cc means soon.
    :):)

30. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    If you want a clearer example of what I mean, in Italian, here it is:

If I wrote "t dv dr 1 cs" how would you translate this, following what's above reported?

You'd probably say "ti dove dire una cosa". Does this make sense? No. Thats' why I said I wouldn't use "dr" as abbreviation for "dire"... And this is just ONE example.

(about the above mentioned sentence, there are two possible translations: "ti devo dare una cosa" and "ti devo dire una cosa").

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  31. Yshay1979 Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Italian
    What's highlighted in blue are you able to prove? The fact that you are Italian and young doesn't mean that you know the thing to this point. How many young people are there in Italy? Have you conducted a survey? I am also Italian and young, but don't agree with you. It's probably because I've been in close contact with people about 10-15 years younger than me (I'm your age and teach teenagers) and I have noticed a big difference between the way they text and they way people my age text. Younger people tend to abbreviate to an extreme level, but, as it is common among people the same age, they perfectly understand each other ("common use" as you were saying).

Please, don't break the sentence, if you read only half of you don't get the meaning. Here I was telling you that you can't say what is correct and what is not because in the case of textese it is not like questioning what the right spelling of a word is or what a correct grammar form is.

This is true if the sentence is standing alone, but please compare:

t dv dr 1 cs. t tel dp.

t dv dr 1 cs, 1 sorprs!!!

Do they make sense now? They do. They're hard to read, but believe me, teenagers are so used to writing this way they don't even realize they use it in their homework and tests. If you're about 30 you've a completely different perception of textese than someone who's 15-20.

My post original post was meant to be a tip in understanding how words can be abbreviated and thus possibly understand real text messages. Most abbreviations I would never use (indeed I don't like abbreviating words at all), but, apart from saying "I don't like it" I would never use expressions like:

Really???
    NO!!! Actually...
    :cross:actually...

(that you used) and are perceived like "this is correct", "this is not correct", especially the cross, which has this exact purpose on this forum.

32. gerryino Junior Member

North of italy
    Italian
    It's true. Usually they use their language without really caring about who they are writing to.
    I've received many unreadable messages, I once had a friend who used to writeSMSwithoutSPACESseparatingWORDSwithLOWERCASEandUPPERCASEletters :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  33. Audie Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    Ciao a tutti!

Ho capito bene il perché dell'uso della "x" in luogo di "per" nel linguaggio sms. Questo mi sembra chiaro.

Tuttavia, quando si parla di "destra" (dx) e "sinistra" (sx), non riesco a capire che cosa (lettere) "x" sostituisce.

Ho letto da qualche parte che sarebbe a causa dell'origine latina (dexter, -era, -erum). Potrebbe essere vero? Ma in quanto alla "sinistra" (sinister, -tra, -trum)?

Grazie in anticipo.

(Vi prego, correggete i miei errori.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  34. Allanon

Allanon Senior Member

Italy
    Italiano
    Ciao, sebbene dx-sx non sia chatspeak, ma abbreviazione comunemente utilizzata anche in ambiti professionali,credo che tu stesso ti sia dato parte della risposta : la provenienza dal latino.
    Per quanto riguarda sx per sinistra, credo che sia un adattamento a dx di destra.

35. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Risulta anche a me che sia così. Anche perché l'abbreviazione dx per destro/a non è un'invenzione delle chat, è da sempre utilizzata in vari campi, medico o automobilistico, per esempio.
    Per sx, l'ipotesi più probabile è che si sia imposta per analogia con dx. :);)

Oops...Allanon...

36. Yshay1979 Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Italian
    La prima cosa che mi è venuta in mente è stata:

ma non dovrebbe essere DX e SN?

Poi ho cercato e infatti si trova sia SN che SX.

DX e SN hanno il loro senso, come abbreviazioni di dexter e sinister.

SX è probabilmente usato per analogia con DX, una volta che si è perso il significato di quella X, quando la parola dexter si è evoluta in destra (questa è una mia idea, non l'ho trovato).

:)

37. Audie Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    Infatti. Avevo dei dubbi se sarebbe una buona idea postare in questo thread invece di cominciare un nuovo. Ho deciso di farlo qui poiché le abbreviazioni, comunque, fanno parte anche dell'universo delle chat. :)

È bello saperlo.

Grazie a voi tutti, Allanon, Necsus, Yshay1979.

38. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Abbreviazioni Parole:

qualcuno = qlc
    qualcosa = qls
    che = ke
    per = x
    per favore = pls (please)
    tu sei = tu6
    mi fai venire sonno = zzz
    buonanotte = hagn (have a good night)
    ti voglio tanto bene = tvtb
    ti amo tanto = tat
    amore a prima vista = lafs (love at first sight)
    flirtiamo? = fli?
    mi sono innamorato di te = msidt
    bacio = ba
    coccole = coc
    ti penso = tipe
    mi dispiace = midi
    non ti merito = ntm
    togliti dai piedi = tdp
    Amò = amore
    Ap = a presto
    Cmq = comunque
    Cvd = ci vediamo dopo
    Tvb = ti voglio bene
    Tvtb = ti voglio tanto bene
    Tvtbtt = ti voglio bene tanto tanto
    Tvtttb = ti voglio tanto tanto tanto bene
    X = per
    Xò = però
    Xchè = perchè
    Xkè = perchè
    Xso = perso
    Axitivo = aperitivo
    Nn = non
    Ke = che
    TaT = ti amo tanto
    Risp = rispondimi
    "xxx" = tanti baci
    Cel = cellulare
    Tel = telefono
    Dom = domani
    Dx = destra
    Sx = sinistra
    Nm = numero
    Se# = settimana
    Msg = messaggio
    x fv = per favore
    xdere = perdere
    -male = meno male
    disc = discoteca
    6 la + = sei la migliore
    6 Sxme = sei speciale per me
    t tel + trd = ti telefono + tardi
    Vng dp = vengo dopo
    TO = ti odio
    Ttp = torno tra un pò
    CVD = come volevasi dimostrare
    MMT+ = mi manci tantissimo
    Xh = per ora
    x = per
    +o- = più o meno
    x me = per me
    -male = meno male

Emoticons e Faccine da inviare via SMS

:) = il classico sorriso
    :( = tristezza, malumore
    ;) = strizzare l'occhio
    ;( = tristezza, malumore più accentuata rispetto :(
    !( = occhio nero
    !) = orgoglioso per un occhio nero.
    #:-o = Shokkato, traumatizzato.
    #!-o = shokkato, traumatizzato con aggravante rispetto #:-o
    $) = felice di aver vinto la lotteria.
    $( = senza soldi, squattrinato.
    :p = la classica linguaggia
    :p = linguaccia maggiorata rispetto :p
    :p~ = piccolo fumatore
    :-Q~ = fumatore
    :-q = leggermente nauseato
    :-Q = molto nauseato
    :x :X = bacio o bocca cucita
    #) = ubriaco o accecato
    #( = ubriaco e/o malinconico
    :-o = sorpreso
    :-O = maggiormante sorpreso rispetto :-o
    :-M = parlare non male o semplicemente chiaccherare
    :-| = fissare, osservare. In alcuni casi inteso come sorriso provocatorio.
    :D = molto felice
    )( = farfalla o parte sessuale femminile
    :-/ = scettico, non molto convinto
    :-// = per niente convinto
    =:-§ = sorpreso,traumatizzato
    :'( = piangere
    :-* = baciare
    :*) = pagliaccio
    ( : - S = ammalato
    : ' '( = sto male
    :-D = risata
    ;-* = baci