chazav

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Isidore Demsky, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    I'd like to know if כזב is a noun or a verb, masculine or feminine, singular or plural.

One context it's used in is Psalm 4:2, but I'd like to know what the structure of the word itself can tell me.

Can it tell me anything about whether it's masculine or feminine, singular or plural, a noun or a verb?

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    כזב as a root can be a verb, noun, adjective, etc.
    כזב as a word can be several different things, depending on the vowels (niqqud).
    כזב in Psalm 4:3 is a noun, masculine, singular.

3. Albert Schlef Senior Member

Hebrew
    I wonder if, like in "תרבות אנשים חטאים", where there's a dagesh on the ט to signify a "professional" sinner, there's also a כזב with a dagesh on the ז to signify a "professional" liar. It'd parallel Arabic's كَذَّاب.

BTW, Psalm 5:6-7 has "תְּאַבֵּד֮ דֹּבְרֵ֪י כָ֫זָ֥ב", and Jezekiel 13:19 has "שֹׁמְעֵ֥י כָזָֽב". Why doesn't the כ has dagesh after these closed syllables?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    From what I have read on Tiberian Hebrew a syllable ending in tzere yud isn't a closed syllable any more than one ending in pataħ he.

5. Albert Schlef Senior Member

Hebrew
    @trigel: thanks.

Two little questions for clarification:

1. You mean that they (the "Tiberians") didn't pronounce the "y", right?

2. We're talking about the massorites (בעלי המסורה), right? Now, since their task was to tell us how to "correctly" pronounce the text, does this mean that they believed the "y" wasn't pronounced in Biblical times either?