1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

check heart rate

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by millerm, Oct 1, 2012.

1. millerm New Member

English - United States
    I know that heart rate is "ritmo cardíaco", but I don't know the verb used for checking heart rate. My best guess is "verificar," but I want to be accurate. Help?

Thanks!

2. Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    Controlar. "Contrólate el ritmo cardíaco".

3. millerm New Member

English - United States
    So "Contrólate el ritmo cardíaco" is to check heart rate and not to control it, right? Another one of those false cognates, I assume ...

4. Belle_85

Belle_85 Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Hi!

It would be "controlar la frecuencia cardíaca", in the sense of checking which is the current heart rate and not in the sense of lowering/increasing it.

5. PAEscritora

PAEscritora Junior Member

Akron, Penn.
    English
    Speaking of these routine measurements, the nurses I interpret for always say, "can we get your height and weight?" I wish they would say "check your height and weight." "Get" is so slangy and incorrect. I usually say, "Podemos ver so peso y altura?" I would like "controlar," but I wonder if that is changing the register a little too much?

6. alexelia Junior Member

Valencia
    italian
    damn, good post!

"me preocupa el ritmo cardiaco"

7. Yo♥WR New Member

Prescott, Arizona, USA
    English - USA
    It's a little late, but just to add my 2 cents worth - "controlar" is OK for "check" but "revisar" is more widely used, particularly in Mexico. "Controlar" is very common in Argentina. If you want to use something more "slangy," "checar" or "chequear" are pretty common among Latins in the US but are obviously anglicisms.