check out your library

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by alicatado, Sep 9, 2011.

1. alicatado Senior Member

San Francisco
    English USA
    I'm trying to think of a translation of this that captures the double meaning of 'check out'. I'm also wondering how ugly 'cheka' sounds in the translation of something official.

mi intento:
    cheka(cheque) la biblioteca
    Mire la biblioteca
    Llevese la biblioteca
    Vea la biblioteca
    Saque la biblioteca

2. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Pretty ugly.
  3. lanueva Senior Member

English - USA
    Visite la biblioteca ... o, si quisieras seguir la personalización del original: Visite su biblioteca. No creo que se pueda continuar el doble sentido del original.
  4. andador_de_mil_caminos Senior Member

Valencia, Spain
    Bilingual: British English & Spanish
    Cheka is horrendous in a formal context!! Also, I think, correct me if I am wrong, but it's a Spanglish word and therefore I would never use it in anything official.

What double meaning of check out are you thinking of? That phrasal verbs has a myriad of different meanings! If you mean, to check out a book from a library I'd use the verb retirar. Sacar can also be used but only in an informal context.
  5. alicatado Senior Member

San Francisco
    English USA
    Check out in the context of a library would refer to checking out or withdrawing books. Check out is also a very colloquial way to say "look at this" or "pay attention to this".