cheese out

Discussion in 'English Only' started by broken_chair, Sep 4, 2011.

1. broken_chair Senior Member

Korean
    Hello, everybody.

<Halo 2 was only being released for Vista. That means either Halo 2 will be taking advantage of DX10 or that Microsoft is going to cheese out and simply write a bit of programming to check which OS you are running and kick you out if not vista.>

This is from a game forum, and I don't get the exact meaning of 'cheese out'.
    I think it may have something to do with 'being lazy'. Right?

Help, please. :)

2. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Never heard that before, not entirely sure I'd be confident in saying what the exact meaning is, but it seems to be implying they are going to be doing a simple thing, find a way to just add in a bit of code to do an OS-check rather than something more complicated. So yeah, your instinct about being lazy I think is on the right track, but I don't think this is in common usage (at all), not even in techno-speak (I think I probably would have heard it before).

3. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    It sounds to me like a variant of "to chicken out". Either way it means that Microsoft would take the easy way out instead of doing a thorough job.

4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Nicely worded!

5. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    More likely, it means that Microsoft is being cheesy---meanspirited.

6. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Never heard that usage before, but could fit, yes.

7. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    "Cheesy" can mean cheap (of low value, not low price) or shoddy. To "cheese out" can thus be to do the minimum possible to create a barely satisfactory product.

8. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Having read all that has gone before, I think that the simplest translation is:

"... that Microsoft is going to take the easy way out and simply write a bit of programming..."

but that there is also a value-judgement of laziness/meanness /shoddiness.

9. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    But "cheese out" is certainly a pejorative that suggests, in one form or another, laziness, meanness, and shoddiness, so "take the easy way out":thumbsup: is not changing the value judgement of the original.

10. broken_chair Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you so much, Alxmrphi, grubble, exgerman, and Fabulist! :)