1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. c'est charis New Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Found out that Cher Amour = Dearly Love in dictionary, but is Cher Amour a noun for masculin only? If there any for feminin? how about "Chere Amour"?

& could i use them in this way, "Mon cher amour" & "Ma chere amour"? correct me if anything is wrong.

Merci! :)

2. Sickduck Senior Member

Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
    French - Canada
    In French, the masculine or feminine form of a noun has nothing to do with the gender of the person described by that noun. It's a grammatical attribute, not a biological one.

3. c'est charis New Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    merci, get it, in between grammatical & biological. :p
    however can i say "Cher Amour" to a girl?
    also, "Mon cher amour" & "Ma chere amour", are both correct in grammar?

4. Sickduck Senior Member

Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
    French - Canada
    May be I did not explain it very well the first time. «Amour» is a masculine word and cannot be changed to feminine to apply to a female entity.

So yes, you can say :Cher amour or Mon amour to a girl, and no, Ma chère amour is not correct. Just like une chaise (a chair) will always be a feminine word, whether a man or a woman sits on it.

5. Pauvre_khagneuse

Pauvre_khagneuse Senior Member

Dijon, France
    France
    Why can't you say "ma chérie" or "mon chéri"?

"Mon amour" can refer to a man as well as a woman. But I've never heard "Cher amour" before...It is quite old-fashioned. But why not? It'll be "cher amour" for a woman as well.

But "mon amour" and "ma chérie" are common!

6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In other words:

mon chéri --> because "chéri" is masculine --> addressed at a male
    ma chérie --> because "chérie" is feminine --> addressed at a female

but

mon amour --> because "amour" is masculine --> addressed at a male or a female (Note that the phrase is a metaphor.)

7. OlafPopkin

OlafPopkin Senior Member

French, France
    I'm french, but not very keen on grammar.
    Every thing is above is right.
    You say 'mon amour' both to a girl or a man.
    It's the same as if you would say
    'tu es une force de la nature' (it means 'you are very strong'). You would say exactly the same sentence to a man or a woman (with 'une').
    or 'la truite est mon poisson préféré'.

You're not talking to a girl but to your love, as long as love is 'masculin' you use 'mon' and 'cher'.

8. Enitram Senior Member

France
    french France
    amour has always been a noun, a masculine one
    so we say mon amour to a man or a woman

Chéri, Chérie, first was an adjective and had to match a name. It became a substantive by common utilisation and kept the opportunity to change from masculine to feminine. Mon chérie, Ma chérie. In an old fashinoed way, you can say Mon chéri to a woman.

Martine.

9. c'est charis New Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Merci, c'est clear maintenant.

so according to the above conditions in grammar,
    instead of "aim", which is another masculine noun,
    are the following both lines correct thus?

mon ami --> to garcon / homme
    ma amie --> to fille / femme

10. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    Well, there's still a little problem...

If the word following "ma" begins with a vowel, you have to use "mon", even though it's feminine:

ma université > mon université
    ma école > mon école
    ma amie > mon amie
    ma horrible tante > mon horrible tante
    ma histoire > mon histoire

I know, French is tough...

11. c'est charis New Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Oh, I've missed something important,
    thanks for reminding me about vowel.

Ya, french is tough but fun,
    & mine still at the very beginning level, :eek:
    merci beaucoup!

12. hoshiko Senior Member

Paris
    Tolosa/Toulouse - Occitan/Catalan/Français
    Adding some more to pieanne to get you confused... :D (I know, I'm a mean gril!!)

If you read old French litterature, you will find "ma mie" (that's old-fashioned but can be used today in a humoristic but nice way).
    It comes from "m'amie" which was coherent with "l'amie" (i.e. "la amie"), but the use changed to "mon amie" (but stuck on "l'amie"... argh!).
    You can use "m'amour" too, but it's even more humoristic than "ma mie".
    Those living in France may remember that add for a squirrel bank on tv with the beaver (?) husband coming home to find his beaver wife wit her beaver lover in the cupboard. While walking to the house he was calling "m'amour" in a funny way!
    Love it! I sometimes call my man that way :p

The other confusing thing about the word "amour", is that it is "masculin au singulier" but "féminin au pluriel"...
    Like "aigle/aigles" and "orgue/orgues"...
    Don't worry: most French people don't know that rule (coming from the Latin words which where neutral, so they followed different paths when Latin became French) and moreover, you will hardly find those words "au pluriel" (well, perhaps "un grand orgue/de grandes orgues"... but in a very particular context, so...)