1. actorjavi

actorjavi New Member

Spain Spanish
    Hi everyone,

Can someone help me to know the differents between "Chest" and "Breast"?
    En español, ¿ambos son "pecho"?

Muchas gracias

2. Bigote Blanco Senior Member

In English "chest" is more often used to describe the chest of a man, woman or child. (not speaking about the (two) breasts of a woman). The chest and breast of a woman is speaking of two different physical characterists. The doctor may choose to examing the womans chest(ribs, lungs, etc.), or the woman's breasts.

3. englishfreak Senior Member

Spain (Spanish)
    but yes, we do say "pecho" for both... Tengo el pecho agarrado, con mucha mucosidad... tengo pinchazos en el pecho, en la zona del corazón... y... ¿a que me saco un pecho? :)

4. malidiera Senior Member

Austria
    Spanish - Spain
    si, englishfreak, en espanol decimos pecho para ambos, pero la diferencia como te ha dicho Bigote Blanco está bien clara en inglés: chest = el pecho, breast = los pechos (aunque el término "el pecho" se ha ido utilizando cada vez más para nombrar el concepto - que puede ser algo tabú - de manera suave).

5. actorjavi

actorjavi New Member

Spain Spanish
    Crystal Clear!!!!
    Gracias

6. englishfreak Senior Member

Spain (Spanish)
    Sí, ya lo sé. Sólo pretendía responder a la pregunta de actorjavi sobre si ambos son "pecho" en español. Y aunque para "breast" si quiero diferenciarlo digo "teta", "seno" o "pechos" en plural, quería dejar constancia de cómo a veces se distinguen por el contexto. Gracias.

7. barisarak New Member

turkish
    I see some recipees called "chicken breast". Is it a correct usage or should we say "chicken chest"?

8. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    We always talk about a bird's "breast" whether it is a sparrow, a turkey or an ostrich.

So 'chicken breast' is correct.

It is only recently that breast has changed its meaning in English. A hundred or so years ago a woman's breast would have meant her chest and the same for a man.

Here is a poem (written by a man) that shows the old usage.

Autumn Within
    It is I that have grown old.

Birds are darting through the air,
    Singing, building without rest;
    Life is stirring everywhere,
    Save within my lonely breast.
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (27 February 1807 – 24 March 1882)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  9. barisarak New Member

turkish
    Thanks for the information.

10. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    Welcome to the forum, barisarak! I don't know if it makes sense, but the word "chest" is not used when referring to animals, only humans. The word "chest" refers to the upper part of the human torso, whereas the word "breast" refers to the two muscular/fatty areas surrounding the nipples (there is only one chest, but two breasts). A man's upper torso is usually referred to as the chest, although a man still has two breasts, but no one notices. A woman's upper torso/chest is usually distinguished by her two breasts, which tend to draw more attention.