1. otetaya Junior Member

philippines
    Philippines and Kapampangan and English
    I encountered the word "chichirica" in the web as part of a title of a painting of a 19th century Filipina: India chichirica. The source of the picture is a 19th century book, "Diccionario de Geografia y de Historia, edicion de 1871." I have been trying to look for the meaning of the word "chichirica" in several spanish dictionaries and from the web but i haven't found any. In the Philippines, chichirica is the name of a flower (the Madagascar periwinkle) and i am almost sure it is (or it was) a Spanish word. Does anybody know what the word means?

2. Prometo

Prometo Senior Member

Bohemia
    USA English
    What is in the picture?

What is the URL of the Web site?

3. Iararo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    I've found this for "Islas Filipinas : India Chichirica"

[​IMG]

4. Prometo

Prometo Senior Member

Bohemia
    USA English
    The Spaniards called the indigenous people of the Philippines, INDIOS.

(The very dark ones were called MOROS - a reference to the Moors of North Africa)

They were classified according to "tribe" as in America. For example, you could have an INDIA VISAYA, an INDIA VICOLE or an INDIA TAGALA . These would be native Filipino women of different "tribes". INDIA CHICHIRICA is how the Spanish described the woman in the picture you saw, because they saw her as belonging to the CHICHIRICO people.

That "tribal" designation may have come from a place name, or perhaps these "Indians" (INDIOS) were named after the flower, chichirica. This may be "antique" Spanish. I'm sure that with a little research you could find this etymology, if it's important to you.

5. otetaya Junior Member

philippines
    Philippines and Kapampangan and English
    Thanks to everybody.

I am a Filipino and i speak several Philippine languages and i am a history buff. I do not know of any ethnic group in the Philippines called Chichirico. And the word definitely sounds Hispanic. Prometo is probably correct when he suggests the word is antique Spanish.