Childlike Sense of Wonder

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HSS, Jan 4, 2009.

1. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Our relationship, I felt with a heaviness in my chest, was beginning to feel like the spinning movement of a child's top. When we were together, we had the power to keep it spinning, and the result was beauty and magic and an almost childlike sense of wonder; when we separated, the spinning began inevitably to slow. (excerpted from Dear John by Nicholas Sparks)
    Hi. Could anyone please help me understand what 'childlike sense of wonder' mean? I've been trying this phrase my hardest for the last hour, but no clear interpretation has popped in. Is it amazement children may sometimes feel when they experience something that they think never occurs? I normally would have just let it go, but it somehow has been hanging on me.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan
  2. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

Hi Hiro :)
    You're pretty much correct. :thumbsup:
    It means they had an imaginative, boundless type of wonder ("anything can happen/anything may be possible" regarding their love to each other. Endless dreaming, curiosity, wishful thinking, all of the traits a child would have, as opposed to thinking more realistically, sensibly, and rationally.
  3. jwesley Junior Member

Las Vegas, NV
    US - English
    Hi, Hiro. A 'childlike sense of wonder' implies a natural, accepting, sense of wonder unmarked by skepticism or cynicism.
  4. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

English (England)
    Hi, I agree with the others' descriptions, so to give an example I'd say the wonder when they fall asleep on Christmas eve and find presents left in the morning, or leave a tooth under the pillow and find money in the morning. A pure sense of wonder and enjoyment that doesn't automatically look for cynical explanations.
  5. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    If you were asked for one word to replace 'wonder' in this sense with, what would it be?

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan

P.S. Thanks for your corrections, xebonyx. A non-native speaker, I should be extra careful by re-reading my writing for mistakes. Corrections would always be most welcome.
  6. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
  7. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

Definitely. Your English is amazing, by the way. And you're most welcome :)