1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

children's vs. childrens

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Alsancak, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Alsancak Junior Member

Is it correct to say childrens or children´s in this context?

I authorize my friend to pick up my 3 children´s passports when issued. Or is it (my three childrens passport when issued?) Or any other better way of saying it?

Hope you are all well
    Bye for now

: business
  2. zetem Senior Member

Canada, English
    It might be better to say "the new passports for my three children". You do not need to say "when issued", since it would bi impossible to pick them up if they are not issued. Then, you do not need to know how the government calls these passports: child ..., child's ..., children ..., or children's .... All combinations are in use and correct.

3. ggw New Member

Argentine Spanish
    As the word children is already in the plural number, you cannot say "childrens". in the example you mentioned you're dealing with a genitive; it is the same as if you say "John's".
    So, the correct form which you're supposed to use is the one with the apostrophe.

Hope my explanation was useful.

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    To repeat what ggw said in another way, there is no word "childrens" in English. The only correct way of writing a word that contains both "children" and a concluding "s" is the genitive form "children's".

5. ariaae New Member

USA
    Spanish
    I think is childrens´ because is a plural noun. Cuando los nombres terminan en s por tratarse de plurales, se escribe el nombre en plural y de seguido se coloca el apóstrofe sin más.

6. i heart queso Senior Member

San Francisco, California
    English, Canada
    Ariaae: mira lo que ha dicho GreenWhiteBlue. "Children" es ya la forma plural...

7. ariaae New Member

USA
    Spanish
    Pues tiene toda la razón. Fue un lapsus brutis, sorry!!

8. Manc Junior Member

Toulouse, France
    Spanish-Spain
    I agree with ggw

9. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    That's true of plurals formed with an S, but is not the case with an irregular plural, eg, men's tennis, children's books, mice's teeth.

10. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Yes, Alsancak, use this suggestion above from zetem: "new passports for my three children".
    And then your friend can pick up your children's passports and take them to you.