1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

chistes verdes, chiste verde

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by sudakapregunton, Feb 26, 2009.

1. sudakapregunton Senior Member

Colombia
    spanish
    Hi everybody.

In spanish we use the expression "chistes verdes" to talk about sex regarding jokes. is it "dirty jokes" the english expression I'm looking for?

2. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Yes.
    Also, ribald, risqué, coarse. Pero lo normal sería "dirty".

3. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Also "blue jokes."

Merriam-Webster: 7 a: profane, indecent <blue movie> b: off-color , risqué <blue jokes>

4. sudakapregunton Senior Member

Colombia
    spanish
    thanks guys.

5. Aaronmark New Member

English
    That's really funny interesting jokes.

6. Bigote Blanco Senior Member

I believe that "dirty jokes" or "off color jokes" would be the most commonly heard and understood expressions.

"Although she appeared to be a sweet, little old grandma, she had the bad habit of routinely telling off color jokes during church services."

7. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    Yep. Pero metería un guión: off-color (Am) off-colour (Br).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  8. Bigote Blanco Senior Member

Thanks for the correction, Aztlaniano!! I'm glad I said, "commonly heard", rather than, "commonly written". Metería yo un gión tambien si yo tuviera que escribirlo. :D

9. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    Sorry, I left out the U in "guión", which may have influenced you subconsciously to do the same.
    Last December the Real Academia Española removed the tilde from "guión", but not the U, that was just a slip on my part. The tilde I used deliberately, as an act of defiance towards the RAE, and I encourage everyone else to do so as well. ¡Guión con tilde!