Chloë Sevigny = > pronounciation

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by big, Dec 25, 2006.

1. big Junior Member

san diego
    usa/english
    how is this pronounced in english? pls...........(is it even french?)

2. Gutenberg

Gutenberg Senior Member

Province de Québec, Canada
    français international
    Cloë Sevigny. She is an American, but her name looks French to me.
    I would pronounce it Clo-eh Say-vee-knee.

I found this on Wikipedia website.
    Chloë Stevens Sevigny[1] (born November 18, 1974) is an American actress. She was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Boys Don't Cry (1999), which gained Sevigny international attention and strong critical acclaim.

3. Syagrius

Syagrius Senior Member

Montréal, Québec, Canada.
    Français. Québec¸Canada.
    Sévigny is a French-Canadian/Québecer family name.
    She probably have French-Canadian ancestors. Seven millions Americans have French-Canadians ancestors.

Merry Christmas.

4. Gutenberg

Gutenberg Senior Member

Province de Québec, Canada
    français international
    C'est une supposition. Sévigny est avant tout un nom originaire de France. Et cela ne veut pas nécessairement dire qu'elle prononce son nom à la française.

5. big Junior Member

san diego
    usa/english
    i know who she is!

6. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    Bonjour big, :)

Try the following site = > here as for the pronounciation.
    However, it sounds a little funny to me whether in French or UK/US English from the above link.
    I tend to pronounce it the (my) French way adding and accent on the 'e' = > Sévigny, even if her name is often appearing without it.

Apparently :

7. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

If I were to pronouce it in French I would say the same as Gutenberg, albeit with a slight difference at the end :
    Say- veen - yee
    (I deliberately separated the syllables this way to make it obvious that the "y" is to be pronounced as a consonant - as the 'y' in 'you' for instance).
    (my emphasis)
    I don't understand why you want it in English. You've surely heard her name pronounced if you know who she is. Or is it a ooops?

And, yes, it's clearly a French name, originally.

8. marget Senior Member

I think in this instance, the yee can be considered both a consonant and a semi-vowel at the same time.

9. Venusia Senior Member

Montréal
    F/E Canada
    CLO-ee 7-yee

10. big Junior Member

san diego
    usa/english
    I don't understand why you want it in English. You've surely heard her name pronounced if you know who she is. Or is it a ooops?

no, no ooops! i know who she is and ive never heard her name spoken.