chores and errands

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by pagetools, Apr 15, 2012.

1. pagetools Junior Member

English
    how would you say - I'm just doing some chores around the house...

and how would you say - I'm running errands (I think it is на побегушках, but im not sure?)

thanks))

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think these sentences will have to be rephrased to be translated into Russian. I don't know if it is possible to translate them if you want to keep these structures and the two nouns. You have to say something totally different to express those concepts in Russian. Let me think about it.

3. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Делаю домашние дела, занимаюсь по́ дому (colloq.).

На побегушках has negative connotation. If this is what you need, then yes, it means running errands. More neutral variant (but a bit bookish and outdated) is быть на посылках.

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    быть на посылках means you are doing to for somebody else, though. To do some errands may mean you are doing it for yourself.

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Are you sure? Errand means поручение, how then doing and especially running errands can mean doing something on one's own will?

6. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Not only. I have to do some errands may mean I have to go to the post office to mail my bills, then I have to go to a hairdresser and then to a library to return books. It can all be done for myself, not necessarily for anybody else.

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    All right, let's wait the topicstarter to clarify what he meant.

8. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    I'm running errands is я выполн'яю поруч'ения, зад'ания

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  9. pagetools Junior Member

English
    The meaning was the same as what LilianaB said.... errands could mean anything - going to pick up flowers for a party, picking up some items from the grocery store.... These things are all done on your own will either for yourself or someone else.

errands are several small tasks that you have to do

10. grinski Senior Member

Far East
    Russian
    я выполняю список [намеченных] дел.

11. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Then it can be бегаю по делам or хожу по делам.

12. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Strictly speaking, running errands is not necessarily running it for others.

Running errands is to make short trips for a particular purpose.

This said, if you run errands, usually for others, it depends whether it is your profession to do this, or it is something you are occasionally asked to do.

In the first case, I'd say "на посъiлках", "бьiть посьiльньiм у кого-то", так же "быть курьером", "выполнять курьерские поручения".

In the second case it is "мне нужно сделать несколько (мелких) дел", "мне нужно (быстренько) заехать в пару мест".

13. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Hi, Morzh. This: "мне нужно сделать несколько (мелких) дел" sounds to me a little like to rob one bank, open a safe and kidnap my neighbor. I am joking to some extent, but it may have criminal connotations.

14. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Liliana,

Your sense of Russian never ceases to amuse me :)

15. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I probably saw too many movies with мелкиe делa.

16. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    "Дело", "мелкое" or not, does not have any connotation by itself, let alone a criminal one, unless put in a certain context.
    Then context-induced connotations for it may be many indeed, including criminal. (This is not one of them).

17. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, I probably associate the phrase with particular contexts. This could be just an additional use of this phrase. The main one and most ordinary one is of course errands.

18. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    Also, a colloquial for "I need to run some errands" is "Мне нужно сходить по делам".

This, actually, does have a connotation. Of going to a bathroom. :)