Chorizo/Salchicha

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Perrito, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Perrito

Perrito Senior Member

Estats Units
    Estats Units, anglès
    Hello,
    Is there a difference between chorizo and salchicha? My dictionary says for both of them sausage and Google Images brings up basically the same thing for them. Is salchicha used in Latin American mostly and chorizo mostly in Spain, possibly? Thank you!

Gregorio

2. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    Hi,

Yes, there is a difference between "chorizo" and "salchicha"... and "salchichón", and "longaniza", and "morcilla" (or "rellena"), and "butifarra".

I cannot explain which exactly is that difference, because all of them are "embutidos", that is, stuffed meat, but all of them taste differently, and I think that in both Spain and Latin America there are several of those different kinds of "embutidos", I'm sure at least that in Mexico it is so, and I think that in Spain even more, because they have even more kinds of "embutidos".

Maybe this thread could explain better than me.

Greetings.

3. zlatha Senior Member

Slovenia
    Spain - Spanish+Catalan
    Yep, that's right!
    Salchicha can be translated as Sausage, but all the rest, which are usually eaten uncooked, only exist in Spain and so have no translation in English. Chorizo, for example, looks like a sausage (a bit more red) and is spicy...

4. Nikola Senior Member

English
    Actually all of the sausages mentioned in post two are found throughout Latin America as well as Spain. They are also sold in most of the US, where they keep their Spanish names or sometimes Portuguese ex. Choriço,Linguiça, Morcela. See this http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorizo

5. Cus

Cus Junior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    Hello,

Chorizo is red and spicy, and like the whitepudding, it looks quite like a sausage. There is no word in English for it.

Morcilla would be a type of Blackpudding.

6. Choni Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish (Spain)
    ... and the chorizo can be of different types: chorizo de cantimpalo, chorizo ibérico, etc. They are different from the “sausage” because they are harder, more red and with more “pimentón”, (paprika?). And they are really good, above all at this time, (13.50 h. in Spain).

7. Eva Maria Banned

Aventurières - Alexine Tinne (Las fuentes del Nilo
    Catalonia / Spain (Catalan / Spanish)
    Perrito,

I agree with everybody!

Chorizo = Red pepper sausage

Salchicha = Sausage (It can also be a "Fresh sausage")

EM

8. Nikola Senior Member

English
    Just to add they all are types of sausages in English but we do not translate the names we use either the Spanish or Portuguese names the same for kielbasa a Polish sausage.

9. Tezzaluna

Tezzaluna Senior Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
    US English and Costa Rica Spanish
    Saludos mis amados compañeros.

Where I come from, chorizo is the equivalent (at least in appearance) to what is known as sausage in the US.

Salchicha is the equivalent of hot dog (and the many type of "embutidos" of that texture/color).

That is the humble contribution from this non-meat-eating forera.

Kisses.

Tezza

10. verocel Junior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Spanish / Argentina
    Hi everyone!

Here in Argentina, "salchicha" is what we usually put in hot dogs. They are also called "salchicha de Viena" (like the city).

"Chorizo" and "morcilla" are part of the Argentinian "asado" or barbecue. "Chorizo" is made mainly of pork and different spices. There are also different types of "chorizos", according to the spices they use to prepare it.

"Morcilla" is black pudding. It's usually eaten hot, but some people like it cold when they eat assorted cold cuts, like ham, salami, etc.

I hope that is helpful.

Verocel.

11. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    salchicha: relatively small, usually cooked or fried whole, though it can also be sliced into small circular pieces; what you put in hot dogs, yes

chorizo: larger and more salty, usually sliced before being fried; sometimes eaten raw, frex. with bread

Morcilla is similar to chorizo, but darker and more bitter

This topic is giving me an appetite. :rolleyes:

12. pedrismo Junior Member

Madison, WI
    Castellano (Argentina)
    With all due respect, "they only exist in Spain"?!?! I am afraid you have never been to Argentina, "The Land of The Good Meat".

The problem is that we invert some of the names you use.
    There are many kinds of salchichas in Argentina, for instance, the one that you eat in a hotdog or in a "pancho" (its name is salchicha de viena), additionally, you have "la salchicha alemana" (you eat this alone, without any bread, is higher quality salchicha), and among chorizos you find thousands of types, most of them prepared with beef, pork, or a mix of both. Less commonly you find chorizo made of chicken. Ese tipo de chorizo se come caliente en la parrilla (junto con la carne del asado). Ademas hay chorizo colorado que se usa en los guisos porque es mas picante o se come frio, ademas exiten miles de clases de salamines (entre ellos el longaniza y el cantimpalo que nombras, pero esos son mas que nada fiambres embutidos, se comen frios por lo general, en sandwiches o en alguna que otra comida en particular, por ejemplo en pizzas)
    La morcilla (black pudding) es otra historia y se puede comer fria o caliente asada a la parrilla.
    En materia de salames y salamines (otros embutidos) hay tantos pero tantos que no me alcanza el tiempo para hablar.

Saludos,

Pedro

PD: sorry, no tengo acentos en esta compu.

13. la_machy

la_machy Senior Member

Hermosillo, Sonora, México.
    Español de Sonora
    Interesante respuesta :).

Saludos

P.D. Sí tienes acentos en tu compu, vete a opción avanzada en tu respuesta y encontrarás todas las vocales con acentos y más que necesites, en la parte superior derecha de la pantalla.

14. happygirl Junior Member

Spanish and English, Mexico
    In the USA "salchicha" is called "wienie". Then we distinguish all the different types os wienies: frankfurt, etc.
    Sausage is totally different, as it is made with ground beef and pork meat and seasoned normally with salt, pepper and sage, and sometimes with hot red pepper or chile.
    Chorizo is seasoned very differently and has a red color. Traditional chorizo is made only with ground pork and the different seasonings. Now we have turkey, chicken and vegetarian chorizo.

15. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Interesting, but do you have a question or need a translation?

By the way, the spelling is WEENIE, and is also called wiener. All of these are a type of sausage, so they are not totally different.

Saludos.

16. happygirl Junior Member

Thank you Zumac, I was just giving my opinion on the original question by perrito. I have always spelled it wienie but will consider your idea.

17. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    Actually, the spelling was not my idea. It's from Webster's Dictionary.

Saludos.

18. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    By the way, morcilla is known as blood pudding, since its main ingredient is actually blood.

Chorizo is similar to sausage.

Chorizo is the same as sausages that have been cured and can be eaten as is, like salami, mortadella and fuet. You can eat cured chorizos as is or you can heat then on a grill, but not actually cook them.

Sausages that need to be cooked are not chorizos, they are salchicas. Like frankfurters, Polish sausage, knackwurst, etc.

However, fresh chorizos are actually not called salchicas. Fresh chorizos are those that have yet to be cured, and are used for cooking with soup-like dishes like fabada asturiana, lentejas, or simply fried with a couple of eggs. The famous "tortilla espanola" can contain pieces of fresh chorizos.

Saludos.

19. Uriel- Senior Member

New Mexico, US
    American English
    Around here chorizo is just a particular kind of sausage (red, spicy, greasy, and sort of nasty, in my opinion), and salchicha appears to be a more generic term.

20. happygirl Junior Member

Thank you Zumac, WEENIE is the correct spelling according to Websters, it's true we learn something new every day.

Saludos

21. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    New Mexico does not actually set the standard for chorizos. By your description, you are probably having a Toluca (Mexico) style of chorizo, which is quite different from Spanish chorizos.

Saludos.

22. Uriel- Senior Member

New Mexico, US
    American English
    You're kidding! We don't?

I was just pointing out how it's used here. Forgive me.

23. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    No problem at all, friend.

Saludos.

24. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish
    Uno de los problemas que se generan en estas conversaciones es que las traducciones no son (muchas veces no pueden) ser exactas, además el caso de la salchicha es uno en el que no nos ponemos de acuerdo entre los hablantes nativos. La salchicha es una cosa en España y otra en México, la verdad son "parientes", pero significativamente diferentes. Sausage, creo también que es un nombre "genérico" ya que estos productos dependen mucho del lugar donde se fabrican, la marca y la forma de prepararlos.
    Por ahora, cuando aparace la palabra salchicha en una conversación, lo primero que busco es saber cuál es el contexto en el que se está usando.
    Para mí la salchicha siempre fue lo que le ponemos al hotdog, pero ahora es solo una de las varias opciones.

Pasa lo mismo con la tortilla, solo que en este caso la diferencia tan marcada entre la española y la mexicana es tan grande que dificilmente causan confusión.