1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ci vediamo vs ci sentiamo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by joeyoneill, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyoneill New Member

ireland/english
    can anybody help me with this : ci vediamo
    i have no idea what this means!!?????
    thanx

2. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    Ci = each other
    vediamo= we see

We'll see each other. Some examples:
    Ci vediamo al museo. We'll meet/see each other at the museum.
    Ciao, ci vediamo. Bye, see ya...
    Quando ci vediamo? When will we see each other/get together?

3. joeyoneill New Member

ireland/english
    AHA;) that makes sense!so thats were ciao comes from!

thanks mate;)

4. cesrob Senior Member

Italian
    Hi everyone!
    How do we say in English "ci sentiamo" and "ci vediamo" at the end of colloquial conversation?
    Thanks
    Robi

5. underhouse Senior Member

Talk to you/see you later.

6. George Leslie Junior Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    English, USA
    In AE, lots of options, depending on region.

"We'll be seeing you"
    "Later!"
    "'Till next time"
    "See you later"

This is from "un anziano", so not particularly "hip". The youngsters are always inventing new new.
    GL

7. cesrob Senior Member

Italian
    Could I say on the phone "I'll talk/speak to you later on" even if I don't know if/when we will actually talk again?

8. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Yes, I say it to people sometimes out of habit to random strangers.

9. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    "We'll be seeing you" would only work if you're in a group of people. Actually, to me it would only ever maybe not sound weird if I was leaving a prairie house in Nebraska at which I had just stayed the night and the patriarch of said household says, "We'll be seeing you!"

If you want colloquial, I can give you colloquial, but don't expect it to make much logical sense. ;) I replace "you" with "ya" here because if I were to pronounce it like "you," suddenly it's not colloquial anymore to my ear. Here is what I would say if I expect to see someone later:

Talk to ya later.

See ya. (often just pronounced like an Italian would pronounced "sia")

Adios.

Peace.

Later.

Bye. (But in a light tone)

The shorter the better. Here's what I would say if I didn't know if I was seeing them again:

Bye.

See ya.

There are probably a few others that I am forgetting al momento, but that's about as much as you need, I would say. By far the one I say the most often is "see ya."

To add "later" to the end of "see ya" when you are speaking with a telemarketer, for instance, might be a mistake I make from time to time out of habit, but I feel awkward after saying it, so I would avoid it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  10. ptunia02 New Member

United States, English
    It means see you later. It literally translates to "we will see eachother later" but in English terms it'd be "see ya later"

11. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    Welcome ptunia02 :). Sometimes it's idiomatic and sometimes it's literal (in which case "later" is not present), as the previous threads all brought to light. To elaborate: Q: Dove possiamo encontrarci? A: Ci vediamo al museo, or Q: Quando ci vediamo? A: Ci vediamo più tardi a casa.

12. Ela25 Junior Member

Spain
    Spain
    Hi everybody! How are you?

I would like to know, please, the difference between 'Ci sentiamo' and 'Ci vediamo'. A friend of mine who is Italian always says to me when she says goodbye to me: 'Ci sentiamo'- but today when we left each other she said something like: 'Ci sentiamo...dai, ci vediamo'. I don't know if there is really any difference since I think both expressions implied to be in contact with the other person... if there is any difference: maybe it has to do with time? I mean, Does actually, 'Ci vediamo' mean that you are going to see the other person sonner than if you said 'Ci sentiamo'?

I know is not an important question, but I feel curious! ;-)
    Thanks before hand!
    Love, Ela25

13. federicoft Senior Member

Italian
    Hi Ela, strictly speaking you'd say "ci sentiamo" if you expect to hear someone later (by telephone, instant messaging etc), and "ci vediamo" if you expect to actually see him.
    "Ci vediamo" is often used in both cases anyway.

14. bozopac

bozopac Junior Member

São Paulo
    Português

Good explanation, thanks!

15. woke1985 New Member

italiano
    Hi guys, Is it correct to say:

"See you on November 15th" ? or better "I'll see you on November 15th?"

There is a more formal way to say that?

16. AshleySarah

AshleySarah Senior Member

Australia
    English - N.Ireland
    Ciao woke1985.
    What you've said is correct if you're on friendly terms with the person you're speaking to.
    If it's business or an employer, or someone you don't know well and you need to be more formal, you can say "I look forward to seeing you on November 15th".

Hope this helps. :)

17. Moltolingua New Member

English
    I lived in Rome for awhile and the common saying is "Ci sentiamo" Hear from you soon. As a casual goodbye in txts. Some girls add in a BACI xoxo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.