cihetle

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by EthanThorn, Mar 16, 2013.

1. EthanThorn Junior Member

Stuttgart
    English - American
    Hello,

Here is an expression that I can't find in Word Reference, nor in the Türk Dil Kurumu Dictionary. These sentences come from a book of memoirs about the late Ottoman period. The author is speaking to her husband, a high-ranking official.

Mesele benim hoşuna gidip gitmemesi değil, esasen dahilde nereye gönderirlerse göndersinler, itirazım yok, zira seninle gelebilirim, lakin harice beraber gidemeyeceğim cihetle, gönderilmeni arzu etmem.

My attempt:

The issue isn't whether it pleases me or not; essentially I have no objection to wherever they send you [ie. let them send where they will send] inside [of Turkey], because I'll be able to come with you. On the other hand, if I couldn't come abroad with you, I'd wouldn't want you to be sent.

Thanks for any help.

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    You've taught me a new word, Ethan :)
    I would say it's wrongly used, though. I'd at least expect to read: gidemeyeceğim cihetiyle.

Anyhow, if you look up the word cihet: isim Yön, yan, taraf
    "Pencereden gelen bu şehir seslerinin cihetini bile tayin edemiyordu." - P. Safa

And a google search for it gives: bu cihetle, in the meaning of "because of this"

So I would edit your translation as: […] However, since I won't/wouldn't be able to come abroad with you, […]

I'm not a hundred percent positive on this, though. You might want to wait for someone to second (and, preferably, 'third') that. :)

3. EthanThorn Junior Member

Stuttgart
    English - American
    Thanks for the feedback!

In the story, the narrator isn't unsure of whether she'll be allowed to accompany her husband or not (and eventually she does go with him). In that sense, "since" doesn't seem to fit the context.

It doesn't seem to be a typo, though - it's used a couple of times in the same chapter. For instance:

Beni göndermek istemediği her halinden belli olmasına rağmen, çocukluğumdan beri Arabistan'ın medhini bizzat kendisinden dinlediğim cihetle, oraları görmeyi pek istiyor ve çok sevdiğim Tevfik Bey'i, yabancı diyarlarda yalnız bırakmak fikrine katlanımıyordum.

4. EthanThorn Junior Member

Stuttgart
    English - American
    sorry, I meant the narrator is unsure whether[...]

5. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    "Since" is good.

There's nothing wrong with the usage, though; "gidemeyeceğim cihetiyle" would be incorrect. "Gidemeyeceğim cihetle" is an exact alternative of "gidemeyeceğimden dolayı/ötürü".

6. peptidoglycan Senior Member

Turkish
    Hi Ethan.

cihet
    is an archaic word. It means aspect, way, direction.
    "Bu cihetle" is an adverb, and it means therefore, thus, for this reason, hence

7. Fenomenon New Member

Turkish
    I'm native speaker but I have never heard that word :)
    But in tr.wictionary.org, it says "because of" so last 2 sentence is:
    lakin harice beraber gidemeyeceğim cihetle, gönderilmeni arzu etmem. = since I couldnt come to outside (of the country, I guess), I don't want you to go

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013