Cita ala ce de oncología qx en 6 semanas

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Songbird17, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Songbird17 Senior Member

Anywhere and everywhere, USA
    Spanish (Cuba/U.S.)
    CITA ALA CE DE ONCOLOGÍA QX EN 6 SEMANAS

I'm having trouble translating this. I don't know what "ALA CE" means (it could possibly be a bad typo). This is an instruction found under the portion of the medical report that says "Plan" and this is one of the instructions for the patient after being discharged.

Any help would be appreciated as I can't find this anywhere. Thank you!

2. EvanWilliams

EvanWilliams Senior Member

North Texas- US of A
    English-USA-Southern
    Wing of a hospital designated CE? It's possible it's typos.
    But institutional abbreviations for clinics, specialty departments etc. are sometimes thrown in.
    "QX" Abbreviation for Quimoterapia/X(Radiation therapy is sometimes abbreviated with XRT)

So could it be an appointment in wing CE of Chemo/Radiation Oncology in six weeks?

I'm guessing.

3. Songbird17 Senior Member

Spanish (Cuba/U.S.)
    Thanks, Evan. I appreciate it.

4. Traductorachilena

Traductorachilena Senior Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Spanish from Chile
    Pienso que otra vez es un problema de typos. Se me ocurre que el original (bien escrito) podria ser: CITA A LA CE de ONCOLOGIA QX EN 6 SEMANAS.
    Y al desenredar la madeja, quedaria (de acuerdo a otros textos similares que me ha tocado ver) : Cita a la Consulta Externa(CE) de Oncologia Quirurgica (QX) en 6 semanas. Tiene sentido porque dices que son instrucciones para un paciente a quien estan dando de alta.
    Hope it helps!

5. EvanWilliams

North Texas- US of A
    English-USA-Southern
    That sounds even better!!!! :)

6. Traductorachilena

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Spanish from Chile
    Thanks, Evan Williams :)

After so many years as an interpreter and translator (over 23), you learn to read in between the lines and to figure out what somebody meant when they wrote a sentence. I think I've mentioned this before: some of us, professional translators, get a document to be translated (particularly medical ones) and a lot of times we need to sit down and spent time (for which I personally don't even charge) figuring out what the heck the person who wrote the document wanted to say in their native language to begin with :confused: Once we figure it out we can start putting those thoughts and words into L2, the target language. Sometimes it can be frustrating. And I won't even go into the pain of trying to "descipher" the "hieroglyphs" (= handwritten notes) I sometimes get from doctors. I can't believe it when they give me these handwritten notes that are ... impossible to understand, let alone the typos, the poor grammar, the poor wording ... you name it! :eek: But it's not that uncommon when you read notes from doctors and/or engineers. As I like to say, they don't "think" when they write ... they just "spit out" their ideas on a piece of paper and let somebody else figure it out. It happens more often than not with scientific minds/brains and other very smart people.
    I hope it helps Songbird with the translation. It's what makes the most sense to me.

Saluditos :)

7. EvanWilliams

North Texas- US of A
    English-USA-Southern
    Impressive. It's a very difficult job you all have. I work in healthcare and formerly was one of the people adding to your difficulties!!!! :)
    Now with electronic charting your life should become easier.

We shouldn't chat but that was an excellent job you did on is thread. Wanted to say so.

Evan.

8. Traductorachilena

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Spanish from Chile
    Thanks for your kind words!

9. Songbird17 Senior Member

Spanish (Cuba/U.S.)
    I'm a bit late responding, but THANK YOU both and I appreciate the chatting because I have learned something, so much, much appreciated, traductorachilena. :)

10. Traductorachilena

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Spanish from Chile
    You are most welcome! I'm glad I was able to throw a little bit of light :)
    That's what we come to the forum for (that's how I feel anyway): to learn, to give each other a hand and to be there for each other when needed!

Saluditos! :)