1. Frigolin

Frigolin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Español
    Hi there everyone! I´m sure this is not the correct place to put this thread but I haven´t found out which is. My question has to do with translation of quotes. I´m about to translate a text for a friend, she intends to present her text to a congress and I have to translate it for her. The thing is I´m not sure about what I should do with the quotes in her text.

For instance:

Parafraseando a XXX: No hay que preguntarse si percibimos verdaderamente color, hay que decir: color es lo que percibimos. (1945 [1994: 16]).

Should I translate the quotation? Should I go to the English translation of the text if there was one? What if the original text is in English?

I´d be grateful if someone could help me out here!
    Thanks in advance

2. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Frigolin.
    You forgot to mention a tiny but crucial detail: the person will be giving her presentation in WHICH language? I ask because if the presentation is in English, there is no sense in leaving the Spanish quotation "as is" without providing a follow-up translation for the benefit of her public. That is, provided the person wants to keep the quote in Spanish. :rolleyes:

Saludos,
    LN

3. Frigolin

Frigolin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Español
    Hi Laura! Nice to hear from you again! Well, true, I forgot to mention that the paper has to be translated into English, the original is in Spanish but the problem is that there are quotations that have been taken from texts translated into Spanish whereas the original is in English and I don´t know if I can get those texts. I know it doesn´t make any sense that I leave them in Spanish as they are because they are meant to be read by English speaking people.

I´m in trouble, right?

4. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hmmmm... you seem to be in a little bit of trouble, alright! :rolleyes:

If the quotes were originally in English but have been translated into Spanish, my only suggestion is to do a little research (maybe by quote author) in some of the pertinent places found on this search. Please note that not all results pertain to "word quotes". Be selective. :)

Good luck!

Saludos,
    LN

5. Frigolin

Frigolin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Español
    Thanks Laura and Terry! :) I´ll handle, I guess. :thumbsup:

6. irisheyes0583 Senior Member

San José, Costa Rica
    English (USA)
    Hi Frigolin,

I just wanted to add my $.02, even though it seems like you've gotten good advice already! :)

I was always told to leave the quotations in their original language (here, that would be the Spanish if you can't find the English), unless you consider yourself to be a "translator" (not just capable of translation, but actually a translator!). If your target audience can understand the source language, then you can stop there. If they cannot, you should quote the source language and then give your own translation as best you can, but you must make it very clear that it is only your translation.

This is what I was taught at my college, so I don't know if it was a university rule, or a more general one!

Good luck,
    Erin