1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Citing the Bible in Koiné

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Troy1996, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Troy1996 New Member

English
    Ok I have been researching to get an addition to my ink, I have decided on a title verse to make my tribute complete and be done with its basic construction, however, I need it in Koiné, my trouble is not the verse translation itself, or the translation of the book name, ex: Galatians. My trouble lies in the numerals, ex: 2:20. Because as you people reading this most likely know the colon does not exist in Koiné. So what I'm asking is two-fold.

1. I just need the 2:20 so can anybody tell me what it is and/or teach me how to do this for future reference?

2. Is there any rules regarding putting the translated form of Galatians and the translated numerals together and if so could you translate it all into the full reference for me to have as an example (Galatians 2:20). This would be greatly appreciated.

I have been looking non-stop because this has to be 100% picture perfect, not because it will be with me forever but because its going to be apart of my tribute to God. So please if you are reading this but can't help me could you at least keep me in the back of your mind in case you do ever run across this, thank you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. 7_against_Thebes

7_against_Thebes Senior Member

Αθήνα
    Greek
    I think it would be "Προς Γαλάτες εδάφιο 2 στίχος 20"

ETA : Dear Troy1996 don't pay attention to my modern Greek translation. Nikolaos_Kandidatos may have your answer! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Nikolaos_Kandidatos

Nikolaos_Kandidatos Senior Member

Rethymno, Crete
    Finnish
    Hi,
    I don't know a better answer, but part of the problem is that an Ancient or Byzantine author writing in the koiné probably would not have at his disposal a system of subdividing texts into such small units. From what I've seen they would simply refer to the title of the work and the author, such as e.g. something like "ὡς φησὶ ὁ ἀπόστολος ἐν τῶι πρὸς Γαλάτας ἐπιστολῆι αὐτοῦ" or suchlike.

4. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    If I understood well, you want to write properly the citation in Greek. It is "Προς Γαλάτας, β'. 20". Usually this is shortened to "Γαλ. β'. 20".
    Is this what you asked?