city dweller

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Pidginboy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Pidginboy Senior Member

India-Local dialect
    What is a city dweller called? A city person?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Is there any context? Any number of terms can be used depending on what it is you are trying to say.

3. Pidginboy Senior Member

India-Local dialect
    The city dwellers are less exposed to the sun and mostly employed in services sector.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. Nymeria Senior Member

Barbados
    English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    Did you look up the words "city" and "dweller" Pidgin? A city dweller is generally someone that lives in the city.

5. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"City dwellers" is very clear. If you are looking for alternatives, "urbanites" is a possibility. Apparently that has a distinct meaning in British English, so it may not be a good choice. I have seen it used to describe urban dwellers in many contexts without the special "yuppie" meaning of BE.

You could use "metropolitans", although I think that is more unusual than "urbanites."

6. cherubkim Junior Member

Melbourne, Australie
    English - Australian
    I agree with JM.

The only alternative I would offer for use in a professional context would be "inner city residents" which is longer but slightly more formal.

In Australian English we find that "city dwellers" can broadly describe anyone in a suburban area as opposed to more remote, rural locations.

Hope this helps!

7. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    In the US, 'inner city residents' usually suggests poor people who live in ghettos or slums. This is not a blanket term that one would use to describe anyone who lives in a city.
    I would suggest 'urban dwellers', which distinguishes them from people who live in suburbs or suburban areas, not in the city or the country.

Also, let's not forget that most people in a large city are referred to by an adjective derived from the city name: New Yorkers, Chicagoans, Bostonians, (Los) Angelinos, Londoners, etc.