1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ciucia

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Thomas1, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Czy ktoś z Szanownych Forumowiczów wie jaki jest odpowiednik tego słowa w angielskim?

2. kknd Senior Member

Polska / Poland
    polski / Polish
    a co ten wyraz oznacza?

3. NotNow Senior Member

English
    If you are referring to a dog, ciucia can be translated as doggie or pup, but it is my understanding that ciucia is also used for other animals as well.

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Thanks, NotNow. :) Have a look below.
    Ja to słowo znam od bardzo dawna, chociaż praktycznie go nie używam. Używa się go do dziecka, które je, a właściwie próbuje, i ubrudziło się na twarzy (innych częściach ciała i ubraniu). Ale ciucia = ale się upaćkałeś/aś.
    Twoja odpowiedź sugeruje, że może jest to słowo, które jest używane tylko(?) w mojej rodzinie. Jakie słowo byś użył w tym znaczeniu?

NotNow, is there any word that's used in this context please?
    Acidentally, I've come across 'spitty-uppy' today, but it suggests more that the baby is spitting up the food, which may also be the case with 'ciucia' but it's got broader meaning, and the emphasis is usually on the fact that s/he is dirty.

5. NotNow Senior Member

English
    The word is also used in reference to baby pigs, which would fit your context. Ale ciucia could be translated as What a little pig you are!

6. mokinga Junior Member

Australia
    Polish
    I have an Australian family-in-law and there is a 3 year old and an 11-month old. A couple of the expressions thrown around are "Grotty little face" or "mucky pup" and various exclamations (eg. "who's got food all over his face!?" etc) but come to think of it, there doesn't appear to be a direct translation of ciucia.

7. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    That helps a lot, thanks to both of you. :)

8. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    It sounds similar to Hungarian 'kutya' (dog). Where did you find a Polish text with 'ciucia' as a dog?

9. NotNow Senior Member

English
    I didn't. I remember it from my childhood.

I just checked the Wielki Słownik and the Kosciuszko Foundation dictionaries. They both translate the word as doggie, pup, and piglet.

10. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I suppose that this word is known by a very narrow group of people in Poland. It may be a regionalism. I have never heard it.

11. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    In Ukrainian цуцик, цюця means "a little dog" and my grandfather, who was born in Lvov region, sometimes used the word ciućko regarding a puppy or a small dog.

12. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I suspected that it came from a place not longer in Poland. We can't say that this word belongs to standard Polish, the same as baciar, meszty, and many other words.

13. arturolczykowski

arturolczykowski Senior Member

Farnham, UK
    Polish
    I know only a verb "ciuciać". Never heard of "ciucia"....