1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Clases muy estratificadas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by conty1189, Mar 25, 2009.

1. conty1189 Junior Member

Español - Chile
    How do I translate this:
    "La sociedad rapanui, gobernada por el ariki, con ascendencia directa de los dioses, estaba dividida en tribus y con clases muy estratificadas."

I have this but I'm not sure is right:
    "The Rapanui society, goberned by the ariki, who was in direct contact with the gods, was divided in tribus with..."

2. TurbidTongue Senior Member

US
    US English, Euro Portuguese
    Wait..contact with the gods? Doesn't that say that the Ariki was of the lineage of the gods (like Pharoes were supposed to be)?

3. conty1189 Junior Member

Español - Chile
    that's the word!!

4. conty1189 Junior Member

Español - Chile
    I'm sorry, I don't speak a very good english!

5. T-ching Senior Member

Greater Buenos Aires
    Argentine Spanish
    I'd say 'The rapanui society, which was ruled by the ariki, a direct descendant of the gods,was divided in tribes and had very stratified classes.'

6. el_novato

el_novato Senior Member

7. Macsito

Macsito Senior Member

US
    French - France
    My attempt.... "The Rapanui society, governed by the ariki, [...] was divided in tribes with very hierarchical classes"

I agree with TurbidTongue about the lineage of the gods rather than the contact with the gods.

8. TurbidTongue Senior Member

US
    US English, Euro Portuguese
    Rapanui society, governed by the Ariki, who was a direct descendant of the gods, was divided into tribes and had very stratified social classes.
    OMG, while I was writing this, T-ching basically wrote the same thing, haha! That means s/he must be very intelligent. ;-)

9. conty1189 Junior Member

Español - Chile
    Thanks for all of your answers! :)