Clavibus intortis urbem hac tutabor....

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Nerino, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Nerino Senior Member

Salento, Italy
    Clavibus intortis urbem hac tutabor ab hoste perpetuo
    hæc claves quod venerata meas

Hi everybody,
    it is my first post on the Latin forum. The sentence above is engraved on the side façade (which is actually the main façade) of the cathedral in my home town, Lecce, in southern Italy. I studied Latin for 7 years at both junior and senior high school, however, the best I could come up with refers to the first part, namely, something along the lines of:

"with entwined keys I will thus protect the town from the eternal enemy....",

but, no matter how I try, I can't find a suitable solution for the last part. Here is a link to a picture of the said inscription:'Assunta

I will appreciate any help, thank you! :)
  2. CapnPrep Senior Member

So "I will protect this city". And the second part means "because she has venerated my keys" (quod haec [urbs] venerata [est] meas claves).
  3. Nerino Senior Member

Salento, Italy
    Thank you so much for your reply, CapnPrep, it appears to be the right solution, but, in order to be "this city", should it not be "urbem hanc"? :)
  4. CapnPrep Senior Member

It is urbem hanc. In the photo you can see a suspension mark above the word HAC, indicating that it should be read as HANC.
  5. Nerino Senior Member

Salento, Italy
    I did not know about these suspension marks, I am very grateful for your help, CapnPrep, regards! :)
  6. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Why is the verb (venerata est) in passive mood here?
  7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    veneror is a deponant verb (passive in form, active in meaning).