clima privilegiado

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Mr Bones, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Senior Member

Madrid
    España - Español
    Hello everybody,

In Spanish we use the expression "clima privilegiado" to mean that the weather is very good, sunny, etc. I'm looking for a similar combination of words in English, because I don't think "privileged climate" works. What would you suggest?

Thank you,
    Mr Bones

2. Rondivu Senior Member

3. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Senior Member

Madrid
    España - Español
    Thank you, Rondivu.

I had considered exceptional, but somehow I got the impression that it could convey an undertone of abnormality, somenthing relating to climate change, for instance.

Mr Bones

4. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    "Exceptional" has positive connotations, so I think it's the right word. Definitely not "privileged climate." That wouldn't make any sense and wouldn't be understood at all.

5. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Senior Member

Madrid
    España - Español
    Thank you very much, FromPA. That's certainly the one I'll use.

Mr Bones.

6. Rubns

Rubns Senior Member

Extremadura/Spain/EU
    Español - Spanish (Spain)
    Anda que no he visto veces "privileged climate" en traducciones del español a inglés. Erróneas por supuesto. Yo creo que "exceptional" es una opción muy buena. Yo también suelo usar "mild climate", aunque no tiene las mismas connotaciones de excepcional.

7. Rondivu Senior Member

Exacto. Internet está plagado de "privileged climate"

http://www.linguee.es/espanol-ingles/traduccion/clima+privilegiado.html

Si te fijas debajo de los párrafos que están en inglés, aparecen los enlaces a los sitios, pero son o españoles o sudamericanos.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  8. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Senior Member

Madrid
    España - Español
    Sí, eso lo había visto. Gracias, Rondivu.

9. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    You make a valid point. It could be construed as meaning exactly that. But there's no reason to say it could not translate "privilegiado."

I googled the phrase and found, as others have said, that it seems to be predominately used in real estate blurbs about what a wonderful climate such-and-such house is located in. None in Great Britain or the USA ... which leads me to believe someone ELSE did a less than exemplary translation for those sites. And you know, one error gets copied, and then is all over the place.

For a natural English expression, you might consider "mild climate." The so-called Mediterranean climate (which occurs in both Chile and California) would be prime examples of a "privileged" climate, or mild climate. Mild climate is not equal to Mediterranean climate, though.

But, again, I'm not arguing against 'exceptional.'

10. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Senior Member

Madrid
    España - Español
    Hello, Txiri.

Thank you very much for your interesting explanation, in which you used the combination wonderful climate. This is the one I had chosen while trying to avoid both priviledged and exceptional for the said reasons. Now, after your point, I'm reconsidering wonderful again, which seems an altogether natural word for English speaking people to say. The problema with "mild", which has been suggested more than once and makes a strong collocation with climate, is that is -(no) pun intended- a bit mild, since privilegiado is rather a strong adjective in Spanish.

Mr Bones

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  11. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    What about "favorable", then?

12. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Senior Member

Madrid
    España - Español
    Thanks, Txiri. I think I'll just stick to "wonderful". Mr. Bones.