1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

close at hand / within the reach of hand

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by alejandro123, Sep 17, 2013.

1. alejandro123 Junior Member

Polish
    Hi there,

Anyone knows how to say in Chinese that: "something is close at hand, within the reach of hand".

Example sentence: This new type of mobile phone can be always within the reach of hand. (I would like to stress easy access in my sentence).

I only know 在。。身边。 But in my opinion it doesn't perfectly fit here.

2. zhg Senior Member

Chinese
    You can try 触手可及。

3. SuperXW Senior Member

触手可及 is a common idiom which exactly means "close at hand, within the reach of hand".

But I'm not sure what your sentence means:
    This new type of mobile phone can be always within the reach of hand. (I would like to stress easy access in my sentence)
    Did you mean we can buy it everywhere? Or everybody are using it? If it's only popular in shops, we still need to go to the shops to get it, "within the reach of hand" may not be the best expression here. A mobile phone won't follow you unless you putting it into your pocket...

在……身边 would be the right expression in Chinese to describe "something is around us".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  4. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    This new type of mobile phone can be always within the reach of hand. = This new type of mobile phone can be handy/ convenient. (???)

5. alejandro123 Junior Member

Polish
    To be more specific.

I mean in any time you can pull it out from a handbag or a pocket no matter you're in a train or in an office. Yes, we can say that this mobile phone is handy.
    But I don't want to use word 方便.

6. SuperXW Senior Member

Usually we'll put it into this way: 这种新型手机便于随身携带。随身携带 would be the idiomatic Chinese word you are looking for.

7. alejandro123 Junior Member

Polish
    Thank you very much, I believe that is exactly I've been looking for.