1. bumix New Member

españa castellano

what's the difference bitween these verbs: close and shut.

Thanks a lot.
  2. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish
    I am not native speakes, but I do not see difference other than some social or personal preferences. I see people saying: shut your eyes and close your eyes; shut the door, and close the door.

Hope you find a native to explain the difference, if any.

3. Jad Senior Member

UK, English
    There isn't really any difference in meaning, but each word does have a different feeling to it.

Tthe word "shut" is a bit more dramatic and sounds a bit sharper, so ideal for use when you're angry or hurried e.g. "shut the door!" "can you shut the window? It's cold!"

Whereas "close" is just a bit more of a normal and peaceful way to say it, and can sound more romantic e.g. "close your eyes".

There are times when you must use one and not the other, e.g. "close up" to avoid confusion with "shut up", e.g. "I need to close the shop up", otherwise using "shut" would make it sound like you want the shop to be quiet :D

or the other way around, where you want to be rude and use phrases with "shut up!" "shut your mouth!" etc., you can't use "close".

Or you could just go ahead and use both and say "Close it shut!" :p

But don't think about it too much, a lot of the time they're interchangeable and it probably just comes down to preference or where you're from.
  4. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    I agree 100% with ASM. It depends which comes out your mouth first (at least for me at any rate).
  5. Eddie

Eddie Senior Member

Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    Hi, Bumix.

In American English, both words are synonymous and there are no distinctions between them in terms of usage. Said in an angry manner, Close your mouth! is just as nasty as Shut your mouth!

Please close the door and Please shut the door are identical in meaning without any negative connotations, unless expressed by tone of voice or body language.
  6. charmedboi82 Senior Member

USA, English
    I don't agree. I think that 'please shut the door' is a bit more negative regardless of how positive the tone is (even with respect to the same example with 'close'). 'Shut' would certainly be the choice to use when describing something violent, etc.

'Shut' certainly doesn't have to be negative, but I think that it does carry a tinge of abruptness, harshness and the like. It's not terribly blatant though, so it serves as a good synonym for 'close'.
  7. Cuzma2008 New Member

A full answer to this question would take a very long time, I'm afraid. There are so many uses of both verbs. They mean very much the same in some cases as in Shut the door and Close the door. The general difference is that shut has a more mechanical sense and close a manual sense. In the sentence in the test I've chosen shut to mean a precise/mechanical/exact movement.
  8. vermilion New Member

Cuzma2008, good explanation, but you just copied it from forum english-test.net. If you are not Alan, English language trainer, of course. К чему этот мухляж?
  9. borosai Member

Puerto Rico
    English [USA] & Español [PR]
    I also believe that there is a subtle difference between the two: "shut" seems to carry a stronger tone in general, but they both mean the same thing, and can be used interchangeably in most cases.

"Close the door" and "shut the door" mean the same thing (it's just one example). However, if you want someone to be quiet, you wouldn't say "close your mouth" (well, not in my experience anyway): you would say "shut your mouth" or "shut up" (impolitely).
  10. Vidar1984 Senior Member

California, USA
    USA English
    And even if you would say "close your moth", you definitely would NEVER say "close up" instead of "shut up" when referring to someone that you desire to be quiet.