Clue - evidence

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Haksoma, May 12, 2013.

1. Haksoma Member

what the difference between the
    clues to the crime
    evidence to the crime
    and witch one is common
  2. Diadem Senior Member

USA (English)
    Is this more English related?

In any case, in English, one wouldn't say "clues to the crime" or "evidence to the crime." We would say "clues about the crime" and "evidence of the crime."

In forensics, the word "clues" would probably not be used much. Instead, the detective would likely say "leads" as in, "I have some leads about the crime." "Leads" would include any phone calls made from people who thought they may have seen something at the time of the crime, or perhaps, someone who saw a sketch of the criminal displayed on TV. In that sense, one could think of "leads" as "clues," but "leads" is the more common phrase in forensics.

Now, evidence is commonly used in forensics. Evidence is something that can prove the guilt of the accused individual in court. For example, a knife alone wouldn't be evidence, because hey, everyone has knives in their kitchen. But, a knife, laying next to a dead body, with blood and fingerprints on it would be considered "evidence" because the fingerprints and DNA could be used to prove that a certain person committed the crime. Also, the knife itself is evidence because it proves HOW the crime was committed by the criminal. Obviously, if someone is accused of murder, you need to prove HOW they did it, and the knife would be the means of committing the crime.

Now, really, "leads" come into play with there is a paucity (very little amount) of evidence. When detectives don't really have much evidence to use to prove their case, they start investigating leads from possible witnesses and so forth.
  3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    A clue is مفتاح لحل الجريمة/اللغز while an evidence برهان/دليل is something solid, like Diadem said.
  4. Juc1 Member

By the way I don't think this is correct because there are murder cases for example where the the body has disappeared (perhaps because it has been hidden or destroyed) and so cannot be examined. In these cases then the prosecution might say "we concede that the evidence about how the victim died is missing. We do not know whether the victim was shot, stabbed etc but this is not essential to prove the case of murder. We have other evidence (eg the victim was last seen getting in to the car of the accused etc)."
  5. Juc1 Member

In English, evidence is that which is relied upon to support the case that X, and such evidence might be good / strong / clear / conclusive or it might be weak / unclear / inconclusive. If it is sufficiently strong or conclusive then it can amount to "proof". So not all evidence is strong and not all evidence amounts to proof. So in Diadem's example my fingerprints being on the knife is evidence but on its own it might not amount to proof because there might be some innocent explanation of this (eg I used the knife to cut some bread etc). Or a scientist might say "there is some evidence that food Y causes disease Z but the evidence is unclear / inconclusive – we need to do more tests".

I think that برهان/دليل are used to mean proof rather than evidence or can they be also used in the above sense ie that the evidence is unclear?