1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Clusterfuck

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by CRISPY69, Jan 19, 2013.

1. CRISPY69 Junior Member

D.F. México.
    USA, English
    Term: clusterfuck

Your definition or explanation: An dynamic, multifaceted, and chaotic mess of a situation involving various principal players that can not easily be corrected.

Example: The failing school in the city I worked in was an out-and-out clusterfuck.

One or more places you have seen the term: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clusterfuck. Pervasive in everyday conversation, esp the military.

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes . Appears in French dict, but not English.

2. Man_from_India Senior Member

Indian English
    It's found in online dictionaries for example Urban dictionary, wikinary etc.

3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
  4. KHS

KHS Senior Member

As someone new to this forum, does the fact that it is in other dictionaries but NOT in the Word Reference dictionary mean that we can't or shouldn't create an entry in the Word Reference dictionary?

5. Quoth New Member

New Zealand
    English - English
    I first encountered this word from British ex-service personnel working in technical disciplines. Whilst clearly used as a single word, un-spaced, it simply referred to an aggregation of undesireable events or situations, without necessarily relating to "various principal players" or their lack of competence - for example several pieces of equipment failing at the same time.

Still, I doubt the gentlemen in question had read the dictionary, so this is purely anecdotal.

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

It's common in the U.S. military, too. My guess - but it is a guess - is that it originated in the military, though whether it's British, American or something else is a mystery to me.