co z ciebie wyrosnie, czy gruszki na wierzbie

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Frigolin, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Frigolin

Frigolin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina - Español
    Hi there, everyone. I'd like to know what this means. Someone left this comment on my fotolog and I don't understand a bit:

co z ciebie wyrosnie:) czy gruszki na wierzbie czy szyszki na sosnie a moze pierwsze mi kaktus wyrosnie?:) ale oki zostawmy to- ...

Thanks in advance.
    Frigolin.

2. tkekte Senior Member

Russian/Israel
    What will grow out of you, pears on a willow or cones on a pine, or maybe a cactus for me? Ok let's drop it...

"pears on a willow/cones on a pine" sounds like some kind of proverb. :)

3. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hi,

This is a literal translation since I don't quite know whether there's an English equivalent.

What will grow (out) of you, pears on a willow or cones on a pine or maybe first a cactus will grow on me, but ok let's leave it.

This is usually used when you see someone and you're wondering what this person will be doing in the future, (very often because their behaviour tells that their future may be a bit unsure...)

Tom

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Yup, this is a kind of a saying.

I'm wondering whether it is indeed a cactus for me. There's another saying in Polish prędzej mikaktus na ręku wyrośnie, which, I believe, is also a part of the one in question*. I take it as a cactus will grow on me, curious to know what others think. :)

The one I know is co z ciebie wyrośnie, gruszki na wierzbie, czy śliwki na sośnie. The one cited is a composition of the two I've just mentioned, and there's a variation of the one with pine cones.

Tom

5. dn88 Senior Member

pl
    a może pierwsze mi kaktus wyrośnie

The closest English-like translation (a bit modified saying, by me) of the second part will be:

or maybe pigs will fly first

6. Marga H Senior Member

Poland,Polish
    Hi, Frigolin,
    If I remember well, this text is from a song that was in TV programme for children. It goes something like: Kulfon, Kulfon, co z ciebie wyrośnie?..
    (Kulfon is the name of a muppet ).Maybe it has some relation with your fotolog..
    Google: Kulfon i Monika ( Monika is the frog's name)