cocina office (horno de pan)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Matti, May 7, 2007.

1. Matti Senior Member

Barcelona
    English England
    Hi:)
    Doing a translation about a house for sale and I'm not sure what these are:
    "Finca Rústica del S.XVII , casa de 350 m2 en parcela de 1.000 m2. Con 2 pozos de agua, 4 habitaciones, 2 baños, cocina-office (horno de pan), 3 salones, comedor, cocina, jardín, 50 m2 de almacen y pérgola"

I've put 'kitchen office' for "cocina office" but "(horno de pan)" must mean something other than "bread oven" but I've no idea what. Any ideas?
    Thanks/Gracias.

2. Sandraseijas

Sandraseijas Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    Hello,
    personally after seing those dimensions and the age it was built I would find quite normal that is got its own domestic oven for bread, don´t you think?
    Let´see what other say!!! Terrific mansion, by the way!
    Regards :eek:)

3. Matti Senior Member

Barcelona
    English England
    Yes, perhaps you're right; thanks! Do you know what a 'kitchen office' is? It appears on that famous search engine so I've used it but I've no idea what one looks like/consists of.

4. Sandraseijas

Spain Spanish
    Not sure about that!!!
    The lovely ones with a bar in the middle maybe?

5. Matti Senior Member

Barcelona
    English England
    Yes, perhaps you're right; thanks! Do you know what a 'kitchen office' is? It appears on that famous search engine so I've used it but I've no idea what one looks like/consists of.

6. Matti Senior Member

Barcelona
    English England
    Sorry, my son has just re-sent this message!

7. Sandraseijas

Spain Spanish
    Hello!
    A cook just told me when it comes to a kitchen an office is a separated room normally for the washing up or it can also be where the waiters keep the cutlery, napkins and so on....
    Would that be it?
    Regards again!!!

8. shapshico

shapshico Senior Member

Juanjuí - Perú
    Spanish - Perú
    Horno is a cook rural machine made of clay , is used many in rural zones,, then a horno is like a micro-ondas but rura and artesanal..

and horno of pan ,,, is a cook machine rural of pan with a room for wahing near

9. Filis Cañí Senior Member

The hills
    Triana, caló
    It mentions also a "cocina", and I think that by cocina-office they mean a smaller kitchen with just the basics, perhaps in the small room where the wood oven used to be. Someone translated here recently as "pantry kitchen", or "closet kitchen", or something like that.

10. umlaut New Member

USA, English
    In this case, the room would be called a "butler's pantry." It makes sense in a house this size. No idea how to reconcile it with the horno de pan though.

11. shapshico

shapshico Senior Member

Juanjuí - Perú
    Spanish - Perú
    I am confused now

12. nellie1973 Senior Member

Seville, Spain
    Native English and Portuguese
    I have a friend who worked in a large cafeteria in Granada and they had a room called an "office" it was a room set aside from the kitchen simply to stack the dirty plates/cutlery/crockery and wash them up...these things were also stocked there when not being used... Unfortunately i have no idea of the english version!!! (according to your search results it's the same, no?)

13. Matti Senior Member

Barcelona
    English England
    "cocina-office (horno de pan), " The fact that "horno de pan" is in brackets is what makes it all so confusing. I'm afraid I had to send it off as "kitchen-office (bread oven)" as I was given very little time, but I'm still very curious to know what it is. Thanks for all your suggestions.

14. Manuel G. Rey

Manuel G. Rey Senior Member

'Cocina-office' es algo que aparece a finales del siglo XX, y es sencillamente una cocina dónde hay un espacio que se amuebla y utiliza como comedor 'de diario'.
    En el siglo XVII la cocinas de las casas de campo eran el lugar donde se comía ordinariamente, aunque en algunas de ellas hubiese una estancia para hacer comidas más formales los días festivos o cuando había invitados.
    Y en muchas de esas casas había hornos de pan, necesario porque lo que no había era panaderías.
    Lo sé por experiencia propia, porque así era la casa de mis abuelos en Levices, foral del monasterio de Oseira, Orense, cuya parte más moderna está fechada en 1740.

15. Filis Cañí Senior Member

The hills
    Triana, caló
    Manuel is right, sometimes I forget my Spanish. It would be something like a kitchen with a breakfast nook.

16. rosieg Senior Member

Beirut, Lebanon
    England, English
    I'm confused regarding the "cocina office". It would make sense that in the past (and in old mansions) it meant there was a separate pantry kitchen in addition to the main kitchen, but now (in a modern apartment) it just means "eat-in kitchen" (or "kitchen with a breakfast nook" or "kitchen with breakfast bar")

BUT I'm reviving the discussion because I have it in a property advert for an apartment probably from the 1960s or 70s and it says it has "3 dormitorios, 2 baños, cocina, mas amplio salón con cocina americana" and among the list of assets the box for "cocina office" is ticked.

Does it really mean there is a separate kitchen (apart from the kitchen and breakfast area open on the living room)? Views welcome!