1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

code-switching vs code-mixing

Discussion in 'English Only' started by walid_5890, Apr 6, 2007.

1. walid_5890 New Member

Egypt Arabic
    i want to make a research about code switching but i've found a grate debate in defining this term. there are two terms which combine with this term which are "code mixing" and "language borrowing". so, please help me how can i differenciate between them.

how can i differenciate between code mixing, code switching and borrowing?

2. Orange Blossom Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    Oh dear, this gets into some complex issues here. Code-switching has different meanings depending on the context.
    1. Switching between the language use of those in power, also known as the standard whether official or not, and an unofficial form of the language. Note, this includes much more than pronunciation and vocabulary. Pragmatics - how the language is used is involved in this too. Lisa Delpit has written quite a bit on this topic. Others have also.
    2. Switching the language code between one's native language and one's secondary language. This shares some characteristics with the former, but the former has other social, educational, and political implications.
    Code mixing is to mix the codes of the two languages. This can occur in writing and and speech.

Language borrowing I think refers to how one language borrows words from another and incorporates them into its own. English is notorious for this. Taco, enchillada, and burrito are examples of words borrowed from Spanish.

Orange Blossom

3. mjscott Senior Member

Welcome to the forum walid!

I have heard of code switching as going between two languages when you are talking with people who have a certain command of both languages and are talking with those who have command of the same general vocabulary.

When in graduate school (can't remember the authors) the research cited said that it was more prevalent among Puerto Rican immigrants than Mexican immigrants. I know when I took classes on teaching students ESL (English as a second language) they discouraged the use of code switching--stating that students should learn a distinct difference between their home language and the target language--which is English in my part of the US.

I think that code switching is the reason that many words have been borrowed (making borrowed language) from other languages. There was no word for a garage in English, so the people who would describe that word from a language that already had the word (French) borrowed it, and continued using it. As Orange Blossom states, there is no reason to create a new English version of a perfectly good word for a popular Mexican dish--Enchiladas--so I would wager that American English will borrow the word from Mexico as long as enchiladas are made in the US. As cultures exchange architecture food and the like, in so doing, many borrowed words become a part of another culture's vocabulary.

4. walid_5890 New Member

Egypt Arabic
    thank you very much MR Blossom. But I think this matter is more complicated with varieties of one language I.E standard and vernacular.

5. Orange Blossom Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    Are you speaking of varieties of the same language within the same country or among different countries?

Orange Blossom

6. walid_5890 New Member

Egypt Arabic
    i'm speaking of the Arabic language in particular. it has a standard form which is modern standard Arabic and many vernacular varieties which are spoken in the Arab countries.

7. Orange Blossom Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    In this context, code-switching in this situation is switching between the different dialects of speech. I think elements of both definitions 1 and 2 in my earlier post would apply in this case. Another term that might be useful to look into is register shift which is changing language styles from one situation to another.

Orange Blossom

8. walid_5890 New Member

Egypt Arabic
    i'm so happy to get these good replies specially from Mr. Orange Blossom. my study in particular is why the Arabic marriage seekers switch from modern standard arabic to their vernacular varieties in the marriage websites?

if you have any ideas of the reasons of codeswitching or code mixing please tell me

9. rissastellar

rissastellar New Member

Bandung, Indonesia
    Indonesian
    hello, I'm a newbie in here.. :p
    I am confused by the term of code-switching and code-mixing, can you explain me further about these?
    I am doing my final project to get bachelor degree, and I stuck in defining these terms.
    By the way, my final project is about the use of code switching in Indonesian printed advertisement. My lecturer said that in bilingual printed adv, advertisers usually use code-mixing, and not code-switching. And here the problems emerged.
    Help me, please. Thank you. :)

10. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Code-switching is the use of two or more languages in a conversation. I hadn't heard the term "code-mixing" before but it seems to me that they are generally interchangeable (although different fields may define them differently). I suggest that for accurate and detailed information you go google the terms.

11. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I believe that code-switching refers to the way we often use one sort of language in one social context, and another when we are in another social context. To take an example, I might use very colloquial language including current slang when I talk to my friends, but if a teacher joins the group, I might switch to standard English.

I think that code-mixing would consist of using both types of language in one setting.

It seems likely to me that in some cultures, there are strict rules about what kind of speech should be used in each setting, and mixing "codes" would be confusing to people, or perhaps seem rude.