1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

coefficient of variation

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Morgana51, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Morgana51 Senior Member

Cuiabá, MT, Brazil
    Spanish - Argentina, English, Portuguese - Brazil
    This is more of a language question although it involves Biology statistics terminology.

I was asked to review a short paper and I 've come accross this sentence. (Horrible English):

The sample size was calculated considering the coefficient of variation of the biological effect of 15% for all experiments, except in the experiments of determination of protein content that was considered 20%.

My question: Is the preposition "of" (highlighted) correctly used? Or could I express the same thing this way:

The sample size was calculated considering a 15% coefficient ofvariation of the biological effect for all experiments except in those experiments to determine protein content, where a 20% coefficient was used.

I'd apreciate any help!
    Hope everybody's having a nice Sunday...

2. Ilialluna

Ilialluna Senior Member

Madrid
    Español-España
    Hola. Para mí, "of" es correcto. Lo que sí cambiaría es "the coefficient of variation..." a "a coefficient of variation...". También diría: ", except in the (those) experiments for determining the protein content, where it was considered to be 20%".
    Saludos.

3. Morgana51 Senior Member

Cuiabá, MT, Brazil
    Spanish - Argentina, English, Portuguese - Brazil
    Gracias, Ilialluna por tu ayuda.
    I did use "a coefficient" in my correction. Now the question of using "for determining" or "to determine" I'm always in doubt.
    Thanks again, your hints were very useful.