cogotero (attacker)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Hella, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Hella

Hella Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    Hi everyone!
    (This is my first post in this forum, how exciting!)

Could anyone help me with the translation in English of a colloquial word in Spanish? The word in question is COGOTERO.

COGOTERO is the term used recently to describe a criminal who attacks people when they are leaving a bank. These attackers usually work in couples and they attack the victim from behind (that’s why they are called COGOTEROS, from COGOTE the back of the neck). It is a brutal aggression that unfortunately is coming more and more frequent…

Any idea?

Thanks!

2. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    Welcome to the forums, Hella.
    I can't think of any such word. There ought to be one for a criminal who attacks from behind, but all I can think of is muggerfor someone who attacks physically in general. Maybe someone else will think of something.

3. Hella

Hella Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    Thank you frida-nc
    mugger or just attacker are OK but if I use any of them I will need to include an explanation. Perhaps there is no other way. Something similar happened with "patera" and sometime after this is a well-known word everywhere.
    Just in case, if anyone has other suggestion....

4. ELFENOMENO21 New Member

SPANISH
    It's never late...

Cogotero: significa el ser más mala clase que puede haber en la jerga delincuencial, proviene de "cogote" ya que cuando te asalta un "cogotero" te corta el cuello y lo más seguro que te mate, si alguien ha sido cocgoteado lo más probable es que se haya ido para el patio de los callados...

__________________________:)
    FROM CHILE FOR THE WORLD...

5. Juan Carlos Garling

Juan Carlos Garling Senior Member

Chile/Argentina
    Spanish Chile/Argentina
    cogotero is a very old term used in Chile to refer to a character who attacks violently to steal unaware passers-by, especially such as coming from a bar with a few drinks too many, particularly at night in unprotected areas, grapping them by the neck = cogote, as you say.

You mention that for you, in Spain, it is a term used recently. This may be because many Chilean cogoteros and pickpockets have become aware in recent times that it is more profitable to apply their skills in the EU, especially Spain where they are familiar with the language, and harvest Euros instead of Pesos.

The definition mugger given by frida-nc is probably the best option.

6. Hella

Hella Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    As said before, it's never too late.

Thanks for your comments, it is always a pleasure to exchange this kind of discussion with other forum members!