cola

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, May 12, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    What is the word for "Cola" products (coca-cola, pepsi) in Finnish?

I want to say the right word when I order food at McDonald's.

"Koka-kola" (??)

2. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

There are no "official" Finnish words. We use the original names but the pronunciation is often somewhat different from the original. "Koka-kola" is fine. In informal Finnish many people say "Kokis". If you order a diet Coke, you can say "kevyt cola" if you like, or "Light Cola".

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Just to add to what GOM said, kolajuoma seems to be the brand-neutral word for "cola drink" in Finnish. So you can say, Saisinko kolajuoman? if you don't know which brand of soft drink is sold at the restaurant where you're eating.

4. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Well, normally kokis is used (imprecisely) for other brands, as well. In informal contexts, it has become a generizised trademark.

However, I know chain stores like Lidl advertise their cola drinks under the name "kolajuoma". The word is all right when eg. legal reasons prevent the use of any specific trademark, but it definitely sounds too formal in everyday contexts. If you're visiting someone and ask for some cola, you wouldn't say Saisinko kolajuomaa / kolajuoman? but Saisinko kokista / kokiksen?, even if the drink in question wasn't manufactured by The Coca-Cola Company.

In restaurants, the waiter will usually correct if you use the wrong brand - that happens to me all the time.

- Saisinko kokista?
    - Kokista meillä ei ole, mutta kelpaako Pepsi?
    jne.

- Lasi Fantaa, kiitos.
    - Siis Jaffaa.

Kevytkokis is also an existing word.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  5. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    If I was knowingly asking for some cheap knockoff drink, I would call it kola, not kokis (the one true Coke :D).