Colegio o centro educativo de "linea 2"

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by gonzsk8, Jun 5, 2009.

1. gonzsk8 New Member

In Spain we use the expression "linea 2" to describe a school that has two classes for each grade.
    Thus a Primary Education school which is "linea 2" would have 12 class groups as there are 6 grades in Spanish Primary Education.
    The same rule is applied for "linea 3", "linea 4" and so on.

Does anybody know an equivalent English expression?
    I have searched the Web with no success.

Thanx in advance.

2. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    I don't believe there is an equivalent in the U.S.A. Maybe you could explain it by saying "an elementary school with two groups of students in each grade."
  3. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

American English
    In almost every elementary school in my state, there are at at least two class groups per grade. For example, at the neighborhood elementary school, there are 3 classes in grades 3-6, with 20-25 students in each class. I suppose that some schools in rural areas might have only one class per grade. So, if we had vocabulary to describe the number of classes per grade, the one-class school would be the exception, not the rule.

However, there is no phrase or way of describing this aspect of schools, that I am aware of. I agree with Idiomático. I would say it "an elementary school with two classes per grade."
  4. gonzsk8 New Member

Thank you Idiomatico and Fenixpollo.
    I'll follow your advice.