Colegio VS Universidad

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by sapere aude, Sep 29, 2009.

1. sapere aude Member

United States of America
    English - USA
    Hi everyone,
    I changed my facebook profile so that it is in Spanish & I can practice more ;) & I was wondering what the difference is between Colegio and Universidad. When you add a new friend onto facebook you can put how you know that person and I want to say that this girl goes to the same college as me and I met her there (I am an undergraduate student at my state university). The question asks "cuando fueron juntos a la esquela por primera vez?" And there is an option between colegio, universidad, preparatoria...and so on.
    So what is the difference between colegio and universidad?
  2. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    colegio = from 6 to 12 years
    instituto = from 13 to 18

Universidad = a partir de los 18 años, you finish high school before.
  3. CervantinaCcs

CervantinaCcs Senior Member

Caracas, Venezuela
    Spanish - Venezuela
    Colegio is until last year of high school, then comes Universidad.
    Colegio and school is the same thing for us; colegio is the word used for a private school
  4. Frank84 Member

Spanish - Ecuador
    It depends on the country. For instance, in Ecuador education is like this:

*Escuela (la primaria): from 6 to 11 years old. --> This would be elementary school.

*Colegio (la secundaria): from 12 to 17 years old. ---> This would be junior high & high school together.

* Universidad: after 17 years old. ---> This would be college or university.

These are the words that, according to my experience, vary their meaning depending on the country: escuela, colegio, instituto, preparatoria.
  5. el_ochito Senior Member

Caracas - Venezuela
    Spanish - Venezuelan
    My 2 cents from Venezuela:

Escuela = Colegio : Elementary school, grades 1-6

Liceo = High school, grades 7-12

Universidad = undergraduate and post-graduate degrees.