1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. MSanchezC Senior Member

Hi everybody,
    I´ve been looking for the word "comadre" or "compadre" in english, but I couldn´t find anything. In Mexico, we say someone is our "comadre" (feminine) or "compadre" (male) when they are the godparents of our child (in baptism), so they are our "compadres"

I don´t like what I found in WR, because it says:

compadre m familiar (amigo, compañero) friend, US buddy: espera un momento que voy a saludar a mis compadres, excuse me for a moment - I have to say hello to my buddies

and this isn´t my real meaning of "compadre"

Help and suggestions welcome!

2. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    compadre, comadre

El primer significado de estas palabras es el que señalas (padrino o madrina de tu hijo). Sin embargo, en ciertos lugares (Andalucía, p. ej.) también significa amigo.

3. LA_Andaluza

LA_Andaluza Senior Member

Málaga
    Español (Spain)
    En España se usa la palabra "padrino" y "madrina" para referirse a los padrinos del niño que se bautiza.

4. Sarasaki Senior Member

Bangalore
    India - English & Kannada
    Godmother and Godfather together are Godparents. Is this what you are looking for?

5. MSanchezC Senior Member

No, I´m looking for the translation for "compadre" and "comadre". For example: "The godfathers of my son are my "compadres", so the relationship between us is "compadres", not between them and my son.

Godfathers: padrinos de mi hijo (pero no padrinos míos)
    Compadres: la relación entre ellos y yo (no entre ellos y mi hijo)

This is a little confused :D

6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    No me parece que el inglés tenga una palabra para esto.

7. Sarasaki Senior Member

Bangalore
    India - English & Kannada
    Ah! I see it now....but I cannot help :( Hope someone out there can give you an answer. Good luck!

8. MSanchezC Senior Member

Thanks anyway Saraski! I´ll keep waiting!
    :)

9. The relationship between mother/father and godmother/godfather is not, generally, as close in the the United States as it is in Latin America. For this reason, there is no word in common usage to describe it. The closest translation would be my son's godfather, but this just describes the literal state of being, not the contextual family relationship.

10. RickyLA New Member

Los Angeles, CA, USA
    English-East Coast United States
    Hi all....! We have used compadre/comadre in two main ways; first as a godparent (through the church), and second as a very close confidant, friend, one who shares a great deal of activities together. In both cases, it describes the bond between us as adults, nurtured over time and circumstance. In the US, wherever there are people who speak Spanish, it is traditional to accept one another as compadre, or compay, etc., when you share that very close bond.

I hope this may shed some light on the transition of a word and meaning as it spreads from one region to another. Always, it is up to you to define how you use your words and what they will mean to you; that is what will alway count!

11. DamaYasmin

DamaYasmin Junior Member

Colonia Austin Gardens
    Mexico Spanish
    Generalmente son para los padrinos o madrinas y tambien para los suegros de los hijos e hijas.

12. tesoler1 New Member

La relación de compadrazgo existe, pero como la mayoría de la población no es católica en los países de habla inglesa, entonces no es común usar/oír las palabras equivalentes a compadre y comadre relacionado con la madre o el padre del ahijado/a. Todos parecen haber entendido la relación con el niño o la niña, pero no con los padres de éste/a. Yo creo que la traducción es Godbrother para compadre y Godsister para comadre. Recuerden que la relación de compadrazgo es una de hermandad, tanto así que se espera que cuando los padres del ahijado mueran, los padrinos se hacen cargo del/de la ahijado/a.

13. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    There are no English words for compadre/comadre (when they refer to the relationship between the godparents of a child or between them and the child's parents). Another such word is consuegro(a), which is the name of the relationship between the two sets of parents of a married couple. To say el/ella es mi consuegro/a, English must resort to he or she is my son's/daughter's father-/ mother-in-law. To say somos consuegros, in English one has to say our children are married to each other. As for concuñado/a, better look it up in the dictionary...

14. AlGrano Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    Spanish - Honduras
    I would like to commend you, tesoler1, for the creation of such and excellent equivalent to "compadre/comadre". We all know that Godbrother and Godsister are not English words, but if we are to move forward, with an open mind, we need to enrich our vocabulary by adopting new concepts that pertain to foreign cultures.
    In general, we can follow either of two different approaches, both are equally valid in making English more international and both methods have been proven to be successful in other tongues: 1) we either create a new composite-word as you did or 2) we repeat the foreign word the best we can with the English accent. In both cases, questions will arise for the concept is foreign; so be prepared to explain, which is usually unavoidable until the concept establishes a foothold in the adoptive language.
    I like "compadre" = "Godbrother" and "comadre" = "Godsister", for the bond of the relationship is at a family level, brought about by God through the marriage of their children.
    Good job!

15. necio New Member

spanish
    Comadre in english is midwife

16. pwgabachito New Member

English - USA
    I'm sorry, but midwife is most definitely not comadre in the sense that the OP is referring to. A midwife is a woman who assists in delivering a baby. The term for midwife in Spanish is partera, comadrona, or comadre in certain areas.

17. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    No hay traducción para 'compadre/comadre'. Asunto zanjado, como se decía hace un tiempito.

18. Lulu_Linguistics New Member

American English
    Godbrother and Godsister do exist in English. They are used to refer to your godparents' children or the godchild of your parent. If my mother was someone's godparent, that person would be my Godsister/brother or if my Godparent has a child, that person would be my Godsister/brother.

Comadre/compadre do not directly translate to English. They mean my child's Godmother/Godfather (in relation to me) or the mother/father of a child of whom I am the Godparent. In my head, I liken them to mean 'co-parent' in the sense of what a Godparent means. More colloquially, they are also used to mean friend.