1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

combating / combatting

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by vmtnezgil, Aug 24, 2006.

1. vmtnezgil Senior Member

SPAIN
    I´ve read the following in an article :

..."those products aimed at combating the menace".

Despite the writer is a native English speaker, wouldn´t the last "t" have to double before the "-ing" termination?

2. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's "combating".

Saludos :)

3. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Both are valid. 'tt' is more prevalent in British English.

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Combating (single t) is correct.

I can´t think of any similar examples, except for react - reacting or enact - enacting.

5. Learning Senior Member

Spanish
    La razón por la que TT se da más en British English, es por lo siguiente:

Todos los verbos con acento en la última sílaba y que terminen en CONSONANTE + VOCAL + CONSONANTE doblan la última consonante.

Teniendo en cuenta que se pronuncia /Kombát/ (por ponerlo en fonética de alguna manera :)) en British English, se dobla la T en B.E. Mientras que en American English es /kómbat/, por lo que no se dobla la T.

Espero haberme explicado :)
    Saludos

6. vmtnezgil Senior Member

SPAIN
    Isn´t there a rule saying that the last consonant doubles if there is a vowel before it when conjugating the gerund?

I remember something like this from high school...

7. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Generally that's right. In cricket the thing they hit the ball with is a bat. We talk about a ball being batted and there is endless talk (which I don't understand for the life of me) about batting averages.

However there are some words where there is no doubling. Targeting, focusing are both examples of this. As for combatting/ combating you see both and for the life of me I can't think which is the better. I would probably opt for the first although the second is far from unusual.

8. chicheme

chicheme Senior Member

Massachusetts
    US - English
    Hola Learning!

Tienes razon.

Uno nota acerca de la pronunciación:

En American English, se dice /kómbat/ para el sustantivo y usualmente /kombát/ para el verbo (to combat).

:)

9. chicheme

chicheme Senior Member

Massachusetts
    US - English
  10. CorMacTi New Member

British English
    Hey!

It's most definitely combating in AmE and combatting in BrE. As mentioned before by several users, there's the usually very useful 'SOS'-rule (which says that a word that ends in 'consonant, vowel, consonant' sees its last consonant doubled when forming a past participle or a continuous tense). But there are exceptions. However, focussing (Bre) isn't one of them. And neither is combatting.

A better way of knowing how to spell possibly-double-consonant gerunds and past participles is pronouncing them - and for that we must always know how many syllables compose the word in question and which is the one we stress.

An example of one of the previously mentioned exceptions is: target -ed, -ing AND NOT -ted, -ting. Why? Because it's a two-syllable word: tar-get - so you read those two syllables: TAR (tahr), GET (git). But how do you pronounce targeting? TAR (tahr), GET (git), ING (ing). NOT TAR (tahr) GET (gét) TING (ting) - it would be like tar+getting!

Going back to the examples from before: Focusing, according to BrE pronunciation keys, would read as FO (foh), CU (kew), SING. Same with combating, which would read as COM (kohm/kuhm) BA (bay) TING.

We can therefore - and somewhat-generally speaking - conclude that doubling the consonant 'opens' the vowel before it.

Hope this helped! :)

11. Spug Senior Member

De acuerdo. :)

12. Meyer Wolfsheim Senior Member

East Egg
    English
    Apparently "combatting" is used in British spelling. Double consonants and singular consonants aren't phonemic in English in any way.

Microsoft word excepts both and on the occasion I may type in "combatting" but then correct it to "combating." It only becomes important in verbs like "(a)bate" and "bat"

(a)bate-->(a)bating
    bat--> batting

13. Imalist New Member

English - United States
    British English and American English differ: in American English, the accent must be on the last syllable before the "SOS" consonant is doubled. Not so in British English. That's why they write travelled, focussed, etc.—NOT because they pronounce these words differently.

14. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    That's correct.

As for this;
    En American English, se dice /kómbat/ para el sustantivo y usualmente /kombát/ para el verbo (to combat).

in BrE there is also a group of two-syllable words which have the stress on the first syllable when they are nouns (récord, ímport, éxport etc) and on the second syllable when they are verbs (recórd, impórt, expórt) but I'm not sure about "combat". It doesn't sound right to say "combát" and Collins only gives "cómbat".

15. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    The OED gives only "cómbat" but admits both "combated" and "combatted" (same for –ing).

Formatted/formatting seems to follow the same pattern even though I pronounce both the noun (format) and the verb with the stress on the first syllable.

16. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Yes, so do I.
    Being British, and being a massive fan of the "magic E", I would always double the consonant.

17. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    I haven't heard that "magic E" expression for years. ☺

18. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    When I use it in my teaching, even with C1 students, they are amazed and say"Why has no one ever taught me this before?"