Combine Threads with the Same Question

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by jet_leader1, Jul 1, 2013.

1. jet_leader1 Senior Member

British English
    Please forgive me if this question had been asked previously.

I regularly frequent, and always deeply appreciate, the French-English forums here. Since I've noticed that the same question is asked in different threads, I'd like to request that multiple threads with the same question be combined into one thread.

It'd be much more efficient and organised to read, in one new thread, all the answers (from the previously separate threads) to the same question.

For example, the following three threads constitute the exact same question on the difference between the French verbs « approcher » and » s'approcher » :
    1. http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=379345,
    2. http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2084412,
    3. http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2257492.

Thank you very much!

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Thanks, Jet Leader. You're absolutely correct that we try to consolidate discussions to reduce duplication on the FR-EN forums. :)

In the future, please use the report feature rather than posting here on C&S to let us know about duplications. Just click the small red triangle in the lower left corner of post #1 in one of the threads. Leave us a message to say there's seem to be several other threads that could be merged together, and paste in the URLs if you like.

I'll take a look at the approcher / s'approcher topic now. If I do consolidate threads, that process may "break" some of the URLs you have posted above. It looks like two of the threads you mention are on the FR-EN forums, while one is on the French Only forum, so I definitely won't merge all three together, because it's important to maintain the French Only discussion separate for those who don't speak English.

Thanks again!

3. jet_leader1 Senior Member

British English
    Thank you for your explanation, jann. You are most welcome. I'll do that in the future.

EDIT: How can users here keep track of reports sent this way?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  4. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Users can't, I'm afraid.

But what makes you ask? I suspect you had something specific in mind, and perhaps there is another way to take care of your concern.

5. jet_leader1 Senior Member

British English
    Thanks again, jann. I just had in mind :D a systematised way to know when threads would've been merged so that I could reread the merged posts. I'd like to avoid checking repeatedly quite a number of threads.

6. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Ah, I see. :)

Let me explain what happens in a little more detail:

• When we merge several threads (threads -- not posts!) on the same topic into a single "master" discussion , we generally leave a note to that effect in the first post, like this.
    • The threads that get merged into the "master" discussion no longer exist as individual entities after the merge, so if you checked back and tried to reload one of those threads, you would get an error message like this. (The actual posts themselves, however, are preserved in their new location as part of the "master" discussion.)
    • Threads that no longer exist disappear from both forum search results and dictionary title lists within 24 hours... so you will have trouble finding them to check back on them, which should help you to avoid checking things uselessly.
    :arrow: So if you want to know whether or not we've cleaned up the topic you report, check the dictionary title list the next day. If there used to be five threads all with similar titles and now you see only two, you will know we did the clean-up. (Note, however, that the script which removes titles from the list runs just once every 24hrs... so if you still see five titles but links to three of them are broken, it means we did the cleanup recently and the script hasn't updated the list yet.)